We are: News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an organisation that holds journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and digital products include some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world: the Times, The Sunday Times and The Sun - reaching 30 million people each week. Despite differences in audience and content our brands are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects our customers.
Technology, a team with people and product at our heart. Passionate and trusted experts creating industry leading solutions through attracting and developing the best talent. CTO of the Year (Tech Leaders) 2017, Christina Scott, leads the department and has worked for many years transforming technology teams in media companies.
Business Analysis as part of The Sun Digital Team:
You will be part of The Sun programme. The Sun is looking to grow their team and continue on the success of the past few years going through one of the biggest digital growths ever seen in media. Working across a wide variety of technology, you will be part of the team delivering digital products across The Sun product portfolio to build outstanding, award winning products.
Business Analysis works in close partnership with Product Management to drive clear understanding of business value in our product backlogs, provide analysis skill sets in surfacing the detail of how our business operates, and facilitating quality, creative conversations between technology teams and business stakeholders. Our customers include the newsroom editors, marketing, advertising, technology and product teams associated with our world leading digital and print publications.
The majority of your work will be at the core of our product technology teams who are working with Scrum or Kanban practises. You should expect to regularly collaborate with other BAs, Product Managers, UX&D, engineers, project managers and business stakeholders.
You will work in partnership with the Product Owner to ensure backlogs are high quality in terms of content, visibility, and understanding of business value. You will need to ensure you are working in partnership with the PO role to perform in depth analysis so that the PO is clear on what stories and acceptance criteria are required and important. And make sure there is a clear, measurable understanding of the business value of those stories. You will need to coach the scrum teams on how to structure and format good stories and actively ensure you are not acting as a translator/scribe between the PO and the team. When stories are delivered ensure there is feedback to the team on the value that was created. You should actively find ways to understand our products and our business, its aspirations and strategic direction.
You should also expect to actively research best practice and strategic direction within the industry and find ways to share this back into the team. Part of your role will also include developing the BA community within News UK and mentoring more junior, less experienced members of the team and helping them in their development as BAs.
Business Analysis Skills Overview:
- Skilled and structured in analysis; and know how, ability to use techniques such as User Stories , UML, Value stream mapping and Business Process Modelling, etc.
- Strong at problem solving and able to absorb a range of sometimes conflicting requirements to narrow down potential solutions to provide options and recommendations.
- Able to use visual techniques, both in diagrams and informally on the whiteboard, that make it easier to understand and reason with difficult problems.
- Able to build strong personal relationships and trust.
- Able to facilitate disparate stakeholders and team members and drive
consensus in meetings, workshops and one to one interactions.
- A thorough, appropriate and timely communicator. Able to clearly communicate complex technical subjects to business and technology stakeholders.
- Experience of the entire technology delivery lifecycle from inception to release and maintenance.
- Demonstrable experience and interest of mentoring or leading other BAs in analysis.
- Worked in the media, publishing or a similar consumer focused industry (preferable).
- Delivered in agile/iterative environments with experience of methodologies such as SCRUM, Kanban, Lean, DSDM. Understanding of iterative product development including MVP, prototyping and lean start-up techniques.
- Awareness of industry trends - such as challenges and best practices.
- Experience working with analytics tools such as Google Analytics - preferrable.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice