We are News UK, a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an organisation that holds journalism at it’s very heart. Our newspapers and digital products include some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world: the Times, The Sunday Times and The Sun - reaching 30 million people each week. Despite differences in audience and content our brands are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects our customers.
We are Technology, a department with people and product at our heart. Passionate and trusted experts creating industry leading solutions with a focus on Agile delivery. CIO of the Year 2016 (Women in IT Awards), Christina Scott, leads the department and has worked for many years transforming technology teams in media companies.
We are Data Tech, a programme that comprises a number of agile, cross-functional teams between London and Bangalore. We grow data platforms, build front-end products and create predictive models for News UK. We focus on the capture, management and utilisation of customer, clickstream and content data, in order to drive growth and increase revenue for our users. Our users include the newsroom editors, marketing, advertising and product teams associated with our world-leading digital and print publications.
We are looking for a Scrum Master to act as an agile delivery lead within the News UK Data Platforms team. You will be working with a dedicated cross-functional data engineering team delivering a range of data products and capabilities for News UK.
This is a hands-on, delivery-focused role. You are expected to have a rich understanding of agile tools and techniques and the confidence to apply them appropriately in the context of the teams you work on. You will work closely with the Head of Data Platforms to support the Data Programme, but you will be given autonomy to decide on agile delivery approaches for your team.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
As an experienced Agile PM / Scrum Master, you'll be responsible for setting the agile approach for the team, planning and leading agile ceremonies, driving incremental development, and improving the delivery process.
You will do this by:
- Working with the product owner, business analyst, engineers and key stakeholders to ensure that new products, capabilities or services are well-defined and delivered to time and quality;
- Using your experience of applying Agile principles to ensure that the team deliver user-centric value with a focus on iterative improvement;
- Organising teams through the use of software development tools (such as JIRA) and agile processes to provide a consistent delivery framework;
- Working with the Product Owner to create a Delivery Roadmap and Release Plans for the teams;
- Creating visibility and transparency of the work delivered by team to key stakeholders;
- Ensuring that appropriate KPIs are in place for the delivery team and using Agile techniques to measure and show ongoing improvement;
- Acting as a Servant Leader for the team by removing delivery impediments/blockers, solving problems and providing alternative options;
- Working to improve News UK’s overall Agile capability, foster Agile knowledge, the supporting community and tools across the organisation.
- Certified Scrum Master accreditation via a recognised industry source;
- Strong knowledge of Scrum and Kanban theory, practices, and techniques;
- Experience in the use of Agile project management software (especially JIRA);
- Understanding of development techniques such as TDD, BDD, continuous integration and development and XP;
- Proven experience communicating with senior management and/or key stakeholders;
- Understanding of estimation techniques, backlog tracking, burn-down/burn-up metrics, velocity, and task definition.
- Experience of working within Data Platforms, Warehouse and/or Business Intelligence teams
- Experience of working in Dev Ops teams or other continuous delivery teams that manage their own end-to-end tech stack
- Experience of working in complex projects with multiple stakeholders and dependencies;
- Experience of working within teams whose members are located in more than one country;
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice