We are: News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Unruly, a global ad tech company, and Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
Your role: Will be an essential part of our Finance team here. The role will form part of our 3 year apprenticeship programme which means you can work in the business and gain a qualification which is nationally recognised at the same time.
- 3 year apprenticeship term
- Apprentice Level 3 AAT training, with the opportunity to extend into CIMA/ACCA/other accounting training route
- 20% of your time will be spent training, mainly at a local AAT training provider, and the other 80% of your time will be spent on the job, learning skills across multiple departments covering all of our titles - The Times & The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless Radio and Unruly.
Your team: The best thing about the Apprenticeship is that you won’t have a fixed team - you’ll get to rotate across all of our Finance teams here in Peterborough, and also have the opportunity to spend some time in the London Finance team as well. The teams you’ll get to spend some time in are:
- Corporate Reporting & Controls
- Management Accounting
- Finance Systems
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts Receivable
- London Business Partnering teams
- Operational HR
Day to day you will: Perform finance & administrative duties which could include some or all of the following:
- Learning how to compile month end reporting, forecasts and budgets in our management accounting teams, covering areas such as production, logistics, advertising revenue, marketing costs, overhead costs and capital expenditure
- Processing payments, investigating purchase orders and looking in to on-hold items in our accounts payable team
- Creating sales invoices across the News UK titles and chasing outstanding payments with accounts receivable
- Helping the payroll team with their administration
- Learning about News UK’s statutory accounts process, supporting in preparing them and liaising with the auditors alongside the Corporate Reporting team
- Understanding the importance of internal controls within a large organisation and the requirements of SOX on a US listed business
- Providing basic tax and treasury support
- Experience on data entry across our finance systems - SAP and TM1
- Talking to and working with business stakeholders across Peterborough and London, such as the marketing teams, editorial teams and operations team
- The opportunity to work on ad-hoc projects across Peterborough and London
- In your non-office time, you’ll need to meet the requirements of your qualification - attending the training provider’s courses when required, meeting their deadlines and passing the AAT exams.
What we’re looking for from you: Someone with a positive attitude and who’s up for a challenge. We’re looking for someone who’s keen to learn and happy to work as part of an exciting, dynamic finance team. It’s really important you have good communication skills and are happy to talk to a wide variety of people, as this role will interact with people across multiple functions at all different levels.
What's in it for you? The opportunity to work in a globally known, large business that is fast paced and exciting, learning loads as you go. You’ll also end up with a renowned qualification which will provide you with skills you can take with you whatever you decide to do in your career.
Closing date for applications is Friday 31st May 2019
The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We are a diverse and team so want to maximise every individual’s potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice