We are: News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Unruly, a global ad tech company, and Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The team: The Finance Strategy Analyst position sits within the focused, high calibre Finance Strategy team, working closely with the Finance Manager, the Head of Finance and other parts of Finance to provide robust financial analysis and modelling for the long range plan, as well as providing comprehensive competitor, market and economic analysis, strategic insights and ad hoc cross business project work.
Deliverables from this team form a key part of commercial and strategic decision making. The role is high profile and at the forefront of setting the overall business strategy.
Day to day you will:
Strategic & Business Planning:
- Day to day responsibilities for the consolidated planning process, including maintaining, improving and testing financial models and schedules
- Supporting on the preparation of the financials for the three year business plan and engaging with Finance counterparts to investigate competing/ differing assumptions and ensure the outputs are accurate
- Analysing and articulating key drivers and interdependencies and challenging the forecast assumptions
- Liaising with the TM1 development team for problem resolution
- Producing summary schedules of financial planning outputs for key stakeholders
- Assisting in the preparation of presentation material to support the planning outputs including Budget and Strategy presentations and narratives
Market & Competitor Analysis:
- Provision of competitor, industry and economic analysis, updates and insights to the business
- Articulating drivers of competitor profitability, KPIs, risks and opportunities and modelling of competitor performance
- Challenging our understanding of our business based on the
- Review of new developments and production of useful insight for distribution to the business via the weekly bulletin
Strategy and Ad Hoc Projects:
- Supporting in financial analysis and business case development for new corporate strategies, initiatives and opportunities on an on-going basis
- Providing strategic analysis to determine effectiveness of the corporate strategy and analysis to support changes on a periodic basis
- Tracking the performance of our minority investments, producing financial analysis and short memos for Senior Management
- Supporting the Head of Finance to produce ad hoc presentation material
- Ad hoc Investor Relations and CFO requests
- Take a role in enhancing internal communications, the role of Finance Strategy and coordination of cross-Departmental initiatives
- Liaise and coordinate with the Finance counterparts to ensure a streamlining of processes and systems
What we’re looking for from you:
- Analysis/ Excel – Intermediate/Expert
- Presentation of key outputs/ PowerPoint – Intermediate/Expert
- Financial Modelling – Intermediate
- Reporting & Compliance – Intermediate
- Business Knowledge & Expertise – Intermediate
- TM1 experience – Beneficial
- Proactive approach and good attention to detail
- Logical thinker and able to solve problems
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build and maintain effective working relationships
- Tenacity and willingness to challenge at all levels
- Drive and enthusiasm to develop the role
- Accounting qualification required (ACA/ CA preferred)
- Strong academic record (Economics, Finance, Accounting background preferred)
- Professional services/ Consulting experience preferred
- Sector experience preferred
The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We are a diverse and team so want to maximise every individual’s potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice