We are: News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Unruly, a global ad tech company, and Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
This role is within the Newsprinters Finance team, part of the News UK finance department, and is based in Peterborough with regular travel to our Newsprinters site at Broxbourne and also our Head Office in London. Newsprinters is the print and logistics division of News UK. The Newsprinters finance team is responsible for accounting for revenues from printing and distributing titles for both News UK and third party publishers, direct costs including Newsprint and Ink, as well as overheads for the three print sites and logistics operation.
As Finance Manager – Production & Logistics your role will be an essential part of the Newsprinters finance team, reporting directly in to the Head of Finance – Newsprinters
You will be responsible for:
- Managing a team of four
- Reporting of Weekly and Month end financial results
- Budget and Outlook for all Production and Logistics related costs and revenues, including direct and overhead costs
- Balance sheet reconciliations for all relevant accounts
- Ad-hoc queries and support as required
- Support for the Newsprinters and Publishing Operations leadership teams, extended Newsprinters finance team, and the wider Peterborough and London finance teams
Your role will require you to:
- Have full ownership and understanding of all the work you and your team do
- Help develop those within your team, ensuring your team members each reach their full potential in their roles
- Provide day to day assistance and direction to the team
- Set team objectives and priorities, ensuring that these are communicated, monitored and delivered to plan
Day to day you will:
- Oversee the submission of weekly reporting
- Review the weekly reporting process to ensure accuracy and identify areas for simplification and efficiency
- Ensure all balance sheet reconciliations are completed and understood, review submissions and ensure accurate commentary is provided
- Review and completion of month end submissions
- Ownership of Budget and Outlook processes for Production and Logistics revenue and costs
- Regular communication with the London Finance teams; ensuring a close working relationship and effective communication at all times
- Regular travel to Broxbourne and London to meet with business stakeholders
- Provide support to the team, including regular catch ups, team meetings, objectives setting, priorities, feedback, identifying development opportunities and performance reviews
What we’re looking for from you:
We’re looking for someone with extensive post qualified experience, and strong experience of managing people. We want someone who really wants to make a difference. Some of the skills and experience you will need include:
- Experience of managing, leading and motivating a team, ensuring individuals flourish, maximising their potential and assisting them to develop their careers
- Proactively identifying opportunities for improvement, simplification and efficiencies
- Ability to be curious – both identify and resolve issues
- Communicating effectively across a wide range of stakeholders including Directors and senior managers in Production, Logistics and Publishing Operations, and with all levels of staff in both Newsprinters and the wider finance teams.
What's in it for you?
- The opportunity to be an integral part of the Newsprinters finance team
- The opportunity to improve and add value to a dynamic, constantly evolving part of the business
- Exposure to senior stakeholders across the business
- The opportunity to take full responsibility for Management Accounting processes around Production and Logistics revenue and costs
The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We are a diverse and team so want to maximise every individual’s potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice