We are: Simply Zesty is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for technology, the Internet and customer service. Simply Zesty is an award winning digital strategy, design and development agency with over 22 years' experience gained across 2000+ digital projects
Job title: Software Developer
Your role: You will join a team of highly technical, motivated and hardworking individuals based from our Belfast office. You will be developing websites and web applications, including CMS configuration, front-end presentation layer integration, business logic handling and back-end database implementation
Day to day you will:
- To deliver progressive, innovative solutions within the practicalities of project constraints.
- Application design including data flows, core logic, back-end database integration, 3rd party integration and use of cloud-based services.
- Configuration of CMS (WordPress, Drupal etc.), implementation of page templates, post types, plugins, custom functionality etc.
- Defining, providing and consuming webservices, and other software integration logic
- Analysis of customer requirements (including direct contact meetings) and assisting with project budgeting and scheduling
- Liaison with teams/individuals (e.g. designers, account manager, 3rd party providers) to develop and refine high-level design concepts
- Assisting with the creation of system architecture and technical documentation
- Maintenance and evaluation of changes to existing applications (both in-house and 3rd party developments)
- Working as a team player as part of a small development team at all levels, including taking on the role of project leader and being responsible for individual level projects
- Adhering to in-house standards on development practices e.g. security, source control, coding style guides, processes, as well as formal standards such as WCAG accessibility and W3C best practices for HTML/CSS. Aiding the further development and adoption of the above
- Mentoring and providing support for junior developers, implementing code reviews, and driving team initiatives
What we’re looking for from you:
- Previous experience in producing secure, compliant, performant and accessible websites, with complex business logic and integration with APIs
- Previous experience with at least one “off-the-shelf” CMS platform. Specifically, experience of Drupal and/or WordPress would be a distinct advantage.
- Proven ability to analyse/develop/maintain web, intranet and extranet sites to company specifications at any point in a project lifecycle
- Strong ability to debug issues quickly and methodically on business-critical applications
What's in it for you?
We love our business and what we do. We want you to love work as much as we do so we promise to offer on-the-job training and development enabling you to be the best you can be. In addition we are a relatively small, collaborative and very social team.
For the right person, this job represents an exciting opportunity to join a successful company and be a key player in steering its future development; to take on more responsibilities without moving away from practical IT work; and to pass on your knowledge and experience to others while also continuing to progress your own technical skills.
The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We are a diverse and team so want to maximise every individual’s potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice