What’s the job?
Market Development Manager
Where do I work?
News UK – TNL Sales and Marketing, 1 London Bridge Street, SE1 9GF
Who do I report to?
Head of Proposition and Market Development
Who reports to me?
Student Development Executive
Why are we here?
- To attract passionate, loyal and valuable customers to The Times and The Sunday Times
- The Times Newspaper Ltd Marketing & Sales department works together to deliver sustainable subscription growth. Focusing on maximising print profits, growing digital subscriptions and diversifying revenue streams.
- Our objectives are to:
- Be distinct and differentiated
- Know our customers better
- Do more with customer relationships
- Fuel passions for our brands among customers and staff
- Grow the volume of repeat, known customers
- Grow average revenue per user
- Maximise the life time value of our customers
- Own the customer experience from beginning to end
What’s the contribution of the Market Development Manager?
To drive change and innovation across the business, and ensure The Times and The Sunday Times remains relevant in a world where consumption of news is constantly changing.
What are my Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Support the Head of Proposition and Market Development to define the 3 year subscription strategy, to deliver profitable net growth.
● Own and define the global market strategy (including the U.K), identifying how The Times and The Sunday Times can be made relevant to audiences.
● Work with AIA and Pulse to better understand our current audience, whilst also identifying key markets for growth. Understand the size of the segments and show how these segments will evolve over time.
● Demonstrate a clear understanding of the markets/segments and determine the consumer needs. Outline the different formats and platforms these audiences are using.
● Where relevant, work unilaterally across News UK to create new formats and identify new platforms where TNL should be available. This includes working with Wireless, Unruly, News Production and Editorial.
● Use your market insight to help shape the TNL content strategy, to ensure our content stays accessible and relevant across the various markets, enabling TNL to become omni-platform and future facing.
● Build business cases to demonstrate the expected return on investment, including any set up or pilot costs to validate a new concept and key assumptions. Share your findings and recommendations with the Proposition Manager, to ensure the right proposition is available or can be built for the new audiences based on their needs.
● Manage and develop the Student development Exec through insight, constructive feedback and challenge. Ensure consistency with News UK/Marketing values and behaviours.
● Conduct post implementation reviews (PIRs), ensuring any key learning’s are
documented. Share these learning’s with all key stakeholders and ensure plans are
optimised for future activity
● Share learning’s across the News Corp group.
What do I Know?
Useful knowledge, skills and experience
- Experience working in a subscriptions business (e.g. media or teleco).
· Highly analytical, with an ability to create financial business cases and forecasts,
including advanced Excel skills.
· Experienced project manager, with the ability to create end-to-end project plans
and successfully manage a range of stakeholders across a matrix organisation.
· Ability to translate detailed plans into concise strategy presentations.
· Ability to communicate technical or data led information to stakeholders in an
engaging and informative manner.
· A high performer who is passionate about our brands and customers.
· Analytical and commercially driven.
· Creative & open-minded.
· Can-do attitude and a self-starter that actively seeks out opportunities.
· Methodical approach to problem solving and a high attention to detail.
· Tenacity to achieve the best customer and business outcome.
· Build great working relationships both inside and outside the business.
What do I Show?
As a department, we have 5 values that guide our day to day work. We call them the 5 C’s
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice