We are: News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Unruly, a global ad tech company, and Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
News UK Finance: This role is based in the highly regarded Group Finance team in News UK. We are a team that has a unique vantage point in a truly exciting business, with the opportunity to work across and have oversight of all areas of the business.
Your role: You will join our team of highly motivated and hardworking individuals in our London Bridge office. You will support the Group Finance Manager with close interactions with the Head of Finance and Finance Director. The team’s principle responsibility is to assist in processing and delivering of regular P&L performance reports, forecasts and budgets across the News Corp UK & Ireland portfolio.
- Assist in the preparation and analysis of weekly results for the CFO
- To assist in the logistics of the weekly reporting process including investigating any issues which arise during the weekly reporting process
- Understand the full P&Ls for the News UK business comprised of titles; print and digital, print operations and brand extensions as well as Unruly and Wireless
- Assist with investigating variances in results against expectations with other finance staff
- This role does not involve month end transactional/journal work but does involve the consolidation, reconciliation and analysis of financial information across each key part of the business
- Offering assistance to teams where required and liaising with TM1 development team for problem resolution
- Ensuring the Finance Manager is made aware of any problems or delays
- Ensuring consolidation, tax and cash flow teams receive numbers at the end of each reporting cycle in line with the timetable
- Supporting the on-going development of reporting outputs and monthly review process
- Assist in the completion of US narrative explaining variances
- Providing systems and organisational assistance around the Budget and Forecast process
- Consolidation of the News Corp UK numbers and the reporting required to support the sign-off process
- Assist in the systems and process improvements with a view to making the process more efficient
- Supporting the budgeting and forecast cycles for News UK, including:
- Summary schedules for presentational purposes
- Internal consistency
- Assist in the completion of US narrative explaining variances
- Assist in update and maintenance of forecast/budget books
- Ensure TM1 cubes reconcile at the end of each reporting cycle and investigate any discrepancies between TM1 cubes
- Own the TM1 development roadmap and work with the TM1 team to find efficiencies and implement changes
- Identifying and developing process improvements and investigating solutions via TM1 development
- Continuously improve financial processes and reporting, understanding the metrics.
- Challenge and influence finance teams to ensure that efficient and effective processes are implemented.
- Work closely with teams to understand requirements and scope out improvements.
- Monitor systems and support users where necessary.
- Plan, Scope, Develop and Implement multiple projects.
- Ability to document and interpret the clients requirements, scope, build, test, improve and implement a system from end to end.
What we’re looking for from you:
- You are passionate about your role and working with an ever evolving business to deliver high quality, timely and accurate financial information.
- You adapt quickly to change and thrive in an environment where change is constant.
- You demonstrate an eye for detail and are able to seek out process efficiencies and build best practice work flows
- You are commercially minded, pragmatic and able to balance the detail and key high level messages
- You are a great communicator, able to relate to all of our stakeholders both in the wider finance team and also the US finance team.
We are ideally looking for a recently qualified accountant (CA, ACA, ACCA, CIMA preferred) with sound technical knowledge. FP&A experience in a similar role would be ideal as would practical experience in Media, Entertainment, Retail or Telecoms sectors where you have been required to work with non-finance areas of the business. A good presenter and someone who is able to articulate financial outputs to non-finance people would be advantageous.
The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.We are a diverse and team so want to maximise every individual’s potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice