JOB TITLE: Editorial Compliance Manager
DEPARTMENT: Strategy and Development, Wireless
LINE MANAGER: Director of Strategy
Wireless is a leading UK and Irish media company, which is wholly owned by News Corp UK and Ireland Limited.
Wireless operates 23 leading radio brands across the UK and Ireland. These include market leading stations embedded in their local communities as well as popular national brands such as talkSPORT, the world's biggest sports radio station, talkRADIO and Virgin Radio.
As well as radio, Wireless operates a growing digital services division incorporating Simply Zesty and Tibus.
Wireless is also a leading provider of digital radio broadcasting opportunities in the UK through its DAB multiplex business and operates a successful international division under its talkSPORT brand.
Wireless is part of the News Corp portfolio of brands, is a world renowned global media business, so there’s no better place to start or develop your career in media.
OVERVIEW OF DEPARTMENT & PURPOSE OF JOB
The role of the Editorial Compliance Manager is to support the effective compliance of Wireless' radio stations with applicable broadcasting regulations
This includes a focus on assisting the programming teams at talkRADIO and talkSPORT in ensuring compliance within live talk shows and other spoken word content
- Advising Wireless station personnel on day to day editorial compliance queries
- Providing briefings and supporting the delivery of training to station teams on key compliance issues
- Providing timely responses to complaints received by Wireless radio stations about broadcasts or other published content
- Supporting the company in its response to editorial compliance investigations by regulators, including drafting relevant submissions as required
- Maintaining an up to date log of active complaints and investigations and ensuring senior management are kept appraised of relevant issues
- Monitoring wider industry policies and case studies related to broadcasting compliance
- Liaising with the News UK Legal Team on relevant matters of law
Skills and Behaviours:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in handling sensitive information
- Knowledge of broadcasting law and applicable regulations (specialist legal qualifications are not required as support will be available)
- Although the role is focused on broadcast content, an awareness of compliance considerations in relation to advertising and digital media is desirable
- Previous experience in dealing with broadcasting compliance investigations
- Broad understanding of the role and workings of Ofcom
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice