Head of Engineering - Wireless
We are: News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an organisation that holds journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and digital products include some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world: the Times, The Sunday Times and The Sun - reaching 30 million people each week. Despite differences in audience and content our brands are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects our customers.
You will be working within: Technology, a team with people and product at our heart. Passionate and trusted experts creating industry leading solutions through attracting and developing the best talent. CTO of the Year (Tech Leaders) 2017, Christina Scott, leads the department and has worked for many years transforming technology teams in media companies.
We are Wireless, is a leading UK and Irish media company, with over 30 leading radio brands. These include talkSPORT, the world's biggest sports radio station, talkRADIO and Virgin Radio. Wireless also has market leading stations that are embedded within their local communities, such as FM 104 in Dublin and Signal 1 in Stoke.
We are Engineering and Architecture, the team responsible for building the necessary underlying capabilities that will help power our digital products well into the future. We work closely with our peers in the editorial, product and delivery teams to build world class products and services that our customers love.
The role is Head of Engineering for The Wireless Group, reporting to the Director of Engineering and Architecture. You will be responsible for developing the technical strategic direction of the digital product offering as well as the engineering culture and team required to deliver it.
You should be passionate about software engineering as well as the culture needed to truly practice it. You should want to nurture and develop talent and teams as well as the communities both internal and external (open source) needed to truly build world-class engineering organisations.
You are accountable for:
- The team and talent required to develop and sustain the product you are directly responsible for. You will have direct responsibility for recruitment of the right talent and nurturing the existing team through training and development.
- Fostering innovation across the organisation together with the Director of Engineering and Architecture.
- Setting the standard for engineering excellence across your area.
- Creating a culture that encourages teams to be creative as well as pragmatic and focused on delivering the right value to the organisation.
- Ensuring senior stakeholders outside of technology are kept informed and involved of changes within your organisation and feel engaged in it’s future as your partner.
- Working with the right partners where necessary to augment your capabilities where appropriate, and managing these relationships appropriately.
- Be a brand ambassador both internally within News UK and externally within the community more broadly.
- Working with your peers in delivery to ensure we have a sustainable culture around delivery and our commitments.
- Working with your peers in product to build the necessary capabilities required to implement a true test and learn culture, iterating based on information and data.
- Working with your peers in data to ensure that data is a first class citizen in everything we build.
- Financial planning and allocation of your resources within your team.
- Working with our peers and colleagues in the wider NewsCorp family to foster and harness relationships and sharing where possible.
You should ideally have experience in:
- Recent and relevant software engineering (basically building amazing things).
- Building high performing teams and culture.
- Working with world class consumer products across various platforms.
- Building highly scalable and high traffic products.
- Making key technical, delivery and strategic decisions.
- Working with partners in the PaaS and Saas spaces to leverage the best of commoditised services.
- Building enterprise systems.
- Working with open source projects and the communities that underpin them.
- Working with and establishing truly cross functional teams to aid in product development.
Attributes / Skills we’re looking for:
- Being brave, having the guts to make the difficult decisions so your team doesn’t have to
- Ability to build relationships that last across all levels
- The realisation that respect is earned not demanded
- Ability to mentor and nurture
- Strong leadership capabilities
- Transparency, openness and honesty are things you value and practice
- Embrace failure, the ability to learn from it and the chance to ensure we can limit its impact
- Love success, but not get arrogant because of it
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice