Data Engineering Manager
News UK Data Technology
Technology, a team with people and product at our heart. Passionate and trusted experts creating industry leading solutions through attracting and developing the best talent. CIO of the Year (women in technology) 2016, Christina Scott, leads the department and has worked for many years transforming technology teams in media companies.
The Data Technology team in News UK uses data and machine learning to power the newsroom, digital products, marketing and advertising parts of our business. We are a multi-disciplinary team that includes data engineers, data scientists, data product development and data management specialists.
At News UK we work with a myriad of data, that includes customer data for our many businesses and brand extensions, behavioural data based on marketing communications, digital data based on the clickstream across our many digital products (websites and apps) and the incredibly rich content data (text, images, videos) from our news publications. Our data architecture includes customer data platforms built on Amazon Redshift and digital data platforms built on Google BigQuery.
We are seeking an amazing Data Engineer Manager to own the creation, maintenance and delivery of the business intelligence layer of our data platforms, to ensure business can access data from the data warehouse easily and in a consistent and abstracted manner in order to drive value from our data.
Reporting to the Head of Data Platforms, you will:
- Be primarily responsible for the delivery of business-as-usual data requests from different business units at NewsUK along with a team of on-shore and off-shore Data engineers.
- Work closely with other data specialists (e.g. architect, data analysts, data engineers, and data quality teams) to help create and maintain a business intelligence layer that is business oriented and allows extraction of data and insights suitable for the systems and services consuming it for both batch and real-time data consumption.
- Work closely with external stakeholders across the business (Campaigns, Analytics, Ads, etc.) and internal stakeholders in data technology (Data Products, data science etc.) to help with how data should be extracted from our data platforms and proactively think of improving their experience of working with the data warehouse in terms of performance, data quality (availability, consistency, integrity, accuracy) and simplicity.
- Be responsible for democratising the data across the company in an innovative and strategic way using data marts, API’s, and presentation layers.
- Coordinate between a series of cross-functional teams (Digital platforms, Identity and Access services, data warehouse, campaigns, analytics etc.) for data prototyping through to delivery to the end customer.
- Feeding back data warehouse modelling requirements where there is a pattern of data consumption for a particular set of core data sets, KPI’s or metrics helping enrich the data warehouse semantic layer and ensuring BI layer is an active consumer of this standardised and conformed data set.
- Working as part of, or alongside, other Agile delivery teams that utilise backlogs, user stories and value-driven prioritisation of competing demands using agile tools and techniques.
- Have strong stakeholder management and relationship building skills, be confident interacting with senior staff and adapting style to different audiences and be a self-starter and goal-oriented with great attention to detail and adaptable to a fast-paced business environment
You will have:
- Strong consulting skills, working with a diverse and exciting range of business stakeholders, and translating business requirements into technical requirements for data engineering teams, and technical considerations into business language for stakeholders
- Have a strong delivery focused mindset with ability to manage multiple streams of requests and apply elements of pragmatism, urgency, business value and standardisation to help prioritise these requests for the business and the data engineering team.
- A strong working experience of datawarehouse and BI modelling implementations like Kimball’s modelling techniques for data marts.
- An expert understanding and working experience of data modelling for BI implementations needed for variety of traditional and cloud based BI and reporting tools (SSAS Cubes, Qlikview, Qliksense, Tableau, Chartio, Looker etc.)
- Experience using out of the box (eg.SAS,SSIS) and custom built ETL tools and frameworks (python based like Airflow, Luigi) for creating and managing BI pipelines.
- Working knowledge and strong interest to work with modern cloud based data architectures and platforms built on the Amazon (Redshift + S3) and/or Google cloud (GCP and BigQuery) or equivalent cloud based platforms.
- Worked in continuous integration and deployment environments
- Strong understanding of data sets related to customer and web analytics data (preferably from digital publishing/media background) and awareness of how best to derive maximum business value from the combination of both along with other first and third party data sets. (eg. digital advertising, cookies, demographics)
- Optional experience of working with micro-services architecture and real-time data pipelines across any part of the data engineering landscape.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice