Deputy Travel Editor
The Sunday Times Travel section is seeking an experienced editor to join its talented team. This role requires a journalist with first-rate copy-editing skills, a proven track record of commissioning engaging content, and experience of working alongside picture editors, sub-editors and designers to generate eye-catching treatments and layouts.
The successful candidate will be an outstanding writer, as comfortable generating punchy sidebars and considered opinion pieces as they are complex round-ups and 1,500-word colour features. They will have experience working across multiple platforms and an understanding of the competing demands of print and digital.
Applicants should have extensive experience with a national travel publication or website, excellent travel industry contacts, some management experience and a solid grasp of SEO and social media.
To apply, please send a one-page CV, three feature ideas perfectly attuned to our readership, and your vision of how the Sunday Times Travel section needs to evolve over the next two years,
Please either add links to these ideas in your cover letter or submit your ideas using the email address provided: firstname.lastname@example.org by September 23.
Job Title: Deputy Editor, Travel
Location: The News Building, London
Reports to: Travel Editor
- Commissioning and editing across the weekly section
- Writing a broad range of travel-related articles and features, to include some travel (both short and long-haul) across the year
- Assisting the Editor with managing a small team (and a much wider group of contributors) and liaising across multiple sections of the paper
- Working with the Editor to develop long-term strategies and goals
- Generating and implementing ideas for both print and digital editions of the section
- Acting as a “brand ambassador”, representing the title internally and externally at conferences, events and consumer shows
- Recognise and act upon any potential legal issues and act in accordance with the IPSO Code of Conduct
Skills and Experience:
- Extensive experience of commissioning and editing on a national newspaper or equivalent magazine or website
- Demonstrable excellence in travel writing
- Ability to work independently and proactively but also to integrate seamlessly with a small, diligent team
- Efficient and organised, with the ability to navigate obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches
- Experience working collaboratively with multiple teams, including digital and commercial
- Experience working with video desirable
Closing date 23rd September 2018
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice