Banking and Financial Services Correspondent
The Sunday Times Business section is seeking an experienced journalist to join its talented team as Banking and Financial Services Correspondent. The successful candidate will be expected to have a good insight and knowledge of the banking and financial services industries and have the ability to source engaging stories which are of interest to our readers. They will have a strong contacts book which will ensure that we are getting the best stories and insights.
The successful candidate will be an outstanding writer with a keen eye for detail; they will have experience working across multiple platforms and an understanding of the competing demands of print and digital. Applicants should have excellent contacts within FTSE 100 companies and a solid grasp of SEO and social media.
Please apply with a covering letter and CV by September 23.
Job Title: Banking and Financial Services Correspondent
Location: The News Building, London
Reports to: Business Editor
- To provide exclusive and original content covering the banking and financial service industries at a national level, as well as developing topical stories during the week, alongside creative ways to present those stories, including graphics and video
- To write quickly, accurately and fluently in a range of formats, such as news articles, longer interviews and features, analysis and case studies for both print and digital
- Collect, evaluate and apply statistical and financial data to produce copy
- Keen attention to detail and meticulous at fact-checking
- Ability to use social networking and other media platforms to underpin and promote stories
- Must be able to respond quickly to live stories on Fridays and Saturdays as and when they happen
- Interview and interact with company executives on a regular basis
- Acting as a “brand ambassador”, representing the title internally and externally at conferences, events, meeting advertisers and other media appearances
- Work collaboratively with other sections across the paper
- Recognise and act upon any potential legal issues and act in accordance with the IPSO Code of Conduct
Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrable excellence in financial reporting at a national newspaper level
- Have strong contacts in the banking industry and FTSE 100 companies and can demonstrate how these have been used to produce exclusive stories
- Experience of commissioning and editing desirable but not essential
- Ability to work independently, but also to demonstrate teamwork as part of a small and hard-working desk
- Take initiative and be proactive in order to achieve desired results
- Self-starter, organised and a good problem-solver, able to eliminate obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches
- Experience of working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams
Closing date 23rd September 2018
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice