Who we are
News UK Technology, a team with people and product at our heart. Passionate and trusted experts creating industry leading solutions through attracting and developing the best talent. CIO of the Year (women in technology) 2016, Christina Scott, leads the department and has worked for many years transforming technology teams in media companies.
We’re looking for a Programme Manager to join The Sun, now the biggest online newspaper brand in the UK, serving over 30 million UK users per month. This means you’ll be faced with some of the toughest challenges, overseeing the delivery of multiple technology teams, across multiple strategies with new technology and in a culture of ‘can do’.
You’ll work on concurrent large scale software development/implementation initiatives through management and influence of scope, schedule, issues/risks, trade-offs, dependencies, communications and expectations as well as dealing with ambiguity and being able to adapt to change rapidly in response to business conditions.
You’ll be passionate about what you do having delivered complex, multi team, high profile
programmes and a strong believer in agile and lean approaches to delivery.
What we look for:
● Ownership and responsibility for the programme and its successful delivery
● Seek to improve and be a positive influence on the team and other colleagues
● Be a trusted valuable member of the organisation; key to the development and high quality
delivery of programmes within Technology at News UK
● Motivates and support members of the programme
● Have a positive attitude and an optimistic outlook
● A great communicator who can share business objectives with the team
Agile Knowledge and experience
● Expert in the successful application of agile and lean techniques including Scrum and
Kanban at a team and scaled to programme level
● Support techniques such as BDD, TDD, pair programming, XP and continuous integration and deployment
● Be a coach and and mentor of our scrum masters
● Help teams achieve their and the associated organisational goals
Facilitation & Communication
● A great communicator able to influence and communicate at every level
● Good negotiator
● The glue ensuring cohesion and rhythm within the programme and interfaces with
● A believer in continuous improvement
Planning & Organisation
● Comfortable managing programmes of 5 + globally distributed teams, including 3rd party
● Visionary; working with Product Management and others to shape and define programmes
● Owns the programme roadmap
● You’ll own the programme budget, monitor the forecast, expenditure and expected return
on the investment as the programme develops
● Manage and plan resource needs
● You’ll evangelise what you do. Promoting and championing change through generation of
● Structured; your approach to managing change will be transparent and sustainable.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice