Principal Software Engineer
Access Control System, Technology
News UK, is a full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an organisation that holds journalism at our heart. Our newspapers and digital products include some of the most powerful media brands in the English-speaking world: the Times, The Sunday Times and The Sun - reaching 30 million people each week. We publish a vast range of content reaching diverse audience and all our brands are united by a commitment to independent journalism which connects with our customers.
Our Department, Technology, has people and product at its heart. Christina Scott, CIO of the Year 2016, leads the department. With many years experience transforming technology in media companies she has set out our vision of passionate and trusted experts creating industry leading solutions through attracting and developing the best talent.
Our Team, Access Control System, is part of a thriving engineering community in Technology who design, develop and operate all of News UK's Identity platform. This platform looks after authenticating (sign in) users and authorising content. Our passion lies in building robust, flexible, scalable, secure, and clean platforms using the latest industry standard technologies. Our platforms underpin our award winning portfolio of products across The Times and Sun.
You have a passion for software engineering and everything that goes into building great products. That includes the code, the people and processes that go into creating those fantastic products. You understand that through the use of engineering best practices and building self-organized, highly motivated and empowered teams, the best outcomes become realised.
We hope you have most of these skills but we don’t expect you to tick every box:
● Be a go-to software engineering person in the team
● Deliver high-quality software
● Responsible for knowledge sharing ensuring the team are never out of touch with current industry best practices and trends
● Lead and mentor
● Improve and promote agile engineering best practices
● Knowledge of at least one structured programming language
● Object Oriented analysis and design
● Complex database concepts
● Core engineering principles and best practises
● Cloud computing, CRM systems, web services, technologies and frameworks
● Continuous delivery and continuous deployment and associated tooling
● High-performant and scalable applications
● We are looking for you to share our passion for building digital products and what can be achieved through innovative new technology.
● We are evangelists of agile and lean and, although we aren’t rigid in our approach, you should be comfortable working in a devops, kanban or scrum environment.
● You will work with a diverse group of people from editorial, marketing to those on the newsroom floor, so a combined curiosity for people and technology and how the two come together is important.
● You will be a natural problem solver, who is able to challenge the status quo. Work on ambitions and exciting products.
● Above all we’re optimistic about the future of News and know we will achieve great things, working with the best people in industry. This is a senior role you will be a great team player and able to develop and mentor others in both their technical and soft skills.
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice