Job Title Service Operations Manager
Reporting to Head of Enterprise Operations
Department Enterprise Technology
News UK's Technology department is a key area within News UK and is divided into three sub sections namely Enterprise, Digital and Delivery.
The Enterprise Technology function exists to provide expertise to run, maintain and build our internal applications and systems; as well as to provide IT services to assist and support News UK and News Corp EMEA staff in undertaking their roles.
Digital is responsible for the creation and delivery of consumer products on the web, tablet, mobile and other online products using our brands. We work with customers to understand and help shape their requirements determining a roadmap for our the products, then ensure these are requirements are effectively designed, developed and delivered.
The Delivery group is responsible for defining, designing, building, managing and governing the delivery of key transformation programmes and projects across News UK. It enables and supports business transformation activities as well as technology based initiatives.
Lead, manage and develop the Service Operations Team for News UK and News Corp EMEA.
This includes developing and directing the Service Assurance Managers and working with Service Desk and Service Management best practice where defined as appropriate.
The role carries ultimate responsibility for seamless communications with Technology customers to consistently provide effective resolution of event and incident management, request fulfilment, access management, problems, changes, releases, asset configuration and operational issues to the highest satisfaction of the customers.
Set the teams overall policy and procedures to maximise efficiency and attainment of OLAs and SLAs for all operational processes. Intervene where required, delegating tasks to the right people and monitoring progress, to ensure satisfactory resolution.
To identify training opportunities to improve the ability and skill sets of staff.
Ensure Service Operations processes are adhered to and apply learning from interventions to facilitate continual process improvement. To ensure that all Service Operations and Technology staff understand and follow these processes.
To provide a point of contact for escalation and direction for the Service Operations team.
Establish and maintain relationships with technology suppliers and product vendors who provide technology maintenance and support contracts to News UK.
Take on of new services and manage existing ones efficiently. The success of the function will be measured through the delivery of excellent customer satisfaction, attaining and surpassing the agreed business service levels whilst ensuring minimal business disruption and driving overall cost reduction within the function.
Member of the News Corp Global Governance Group, responsible for defining and aligning service management operations across all regions and business units.
- To support the Head of Enterprise Operations.
- Responsible for ensuring close working relationships are established and maintained with peers in Technology as required.
- To arrange and hold operational contacts and meetings between the different departments for a specific process. Overseeing the technology process conference calls, ensuring consistent representation from all relevant parties.
- Overseeing the Service Operations processes, providing accurate trending and reporting as required whilst ensuring processes are aligned with other technology and business areas.
- Responsible for ensuring the quality, accuracy and consistency of all technology communications to the business and overseeing the mobilisation of the Major Incident process.
- Ensuring all Service Operation processes are regularly reviewed, audited, and are subject to continual service improvement;
- Responsible for managing Remedy OnDemand, Discovery and all integrations to maintain the technology Service Management system.
- Management Representative for ISO20000 Certification, responsible for ensuring all process areas adhere to the standard.
Skills & Experience
- Experience of managing an ITIL based Service Operations function including Service Desk.
- Educated to degree level, with a strong technical background.
- Possession of the ITIL Managers Certificate and ideally, accreditation to ITIL Expert Level.
- To have practical experience of process management;
- To have practical experience of continual service improvement methods and techniques;
- To have a good understanding of statistical and analytical principles and processes;
- The role holder would be expected to develop a comprehensive knowledge of News UK and News Corp EMEA’s technical standards and procedures; sufficient to contribute to their development and enforcement.
- Good interpersonal skills for written, oral and face to face communications, both within Technology and the business;
- To possess skills in influencing and negotiation methods and techniques;
- To have good numeric and written skills;
- To have a good understanding of available and emerging technologies;
- To have the ability to understand how technology supports the business;
- The role holder would be expected to develop a comprehensive knowledge of News UK and News Corp EMEA’s business plans and organisation, including key users of technology and their needs. Having an awareness and understanding of technology initiatives, projects and emerging systems;
- A full understanding and support of the growth plan for News UK and News Corp EMEA, supporting operations efficiency and effectiveness.
Must be willing to work unsociable hours on occasions and be prepared to travel between News UK locations as needed.
A full Driving Licence is required.
Run a 7x24 operation.
Work as part of the 24/7 on-call Major Incident Management team
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice