AGILE PROJECT MANAGER
Department: News UK Technology
Responsible to: Programme Lead
Location: News Building, 1 London Bridge Street, London SE1 9GF
News UK is a great company full of passionate, talented, and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
Product development within the wider Technology team is responsible for the creation and delivery of consumer products on the web, tablet, mobile and other online products using our brands. We work with customers to understand and help shape their requirements determining a roadmap for our the products, then ensure these are requirements are effectively designed, developed and delivered.
Due to the volume of new projects requiring a strong management lead, an Agile project manager position has arisen within out Technology department to help deliver some exciting projects for 2018. In addition to hands on delivery of projects you should be capable of expanding the use of Agile techniques and provide mentoring and advice to others.
You will be working with dedicated cross functional software development teams, product managers and business managers using a range of Agile techniques within a continuous programme of work framework.
This is not a role for an agile coach – it is very much a delivery role. We fundamentally believe the agile process is key to achieving success but understand that quality delivery is the most important consideration
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with product and business owners and project teams to ensure that new products, features or services are delivered to the appropriate levels of quality within the agreed sprint cycles.
- Maintain an accurate project release schedule clearly demonstrating the scheduled release dates for deliverables.
- Use experience of applying the principles of Agile to ensure that the team constantly improve.
- Assist the product owner to maximise the ROI delivered by the team.
- Ensure that the appropriate Agile metrics and artefacts are produced and communicated to enable the team and product owner to make informed decisions.
- Work to improve News’s overall Agile capability, foster Agile knowledge, the supporting community and tools across the organisation.
- Servant Leader – Removes blockers in order for a team to progress. Solves problems and provides options. Must be able to garner respect from his/her team and be willing to get their hands dirty to get the job done
- Creates commitment - Ensures that the team understand the vision and goals of a piece of work and are clear on the value and benefits to the business
- Delivery focused - Focuses the team on fast and efficient delivery of quality solutions. Is passionate about delivering value as early as possible.
- Assertive – Must be able to ensure Agile/Scrum concepts and principles are adhered to, must be able to be a voice of reason and authority, make the tough calls.
- Situational Aware – Addresses risk and issues as they arise to ensure that the team aren’t hindered and escalate them where appropriate to management
- Enthusiastic – Must be the one to both drive the team and be seen to be driven
- Continual improvement and empowerment - Strive to continually improve the team’s performance and must be able to lead a team to self organisation
- Conflict resolution - Must be able to facilitate discussion and facilitate alternatives or different approaches
- Attitude of transparency – Must desire to bring disclosure and transparency to the business about development and grow business trust through partnership
- Be able to work/collaborate/communicate effectively with teams, upper management, stakeholders and 3rd parties
- Strong knowledge of Scrum and/or Kanban theory, practices, and rules
- Understand basic fundamentals of iterative development
- Understand other processes and methodologies and can speak intelligently about them and leverage other techniques to provide value to a team/enterprise
- Understand basic fundamentals of software development processes and procedures
- Understand the value of commitments to delivery made by a development team
- Understand incremental delivery and the value of metrics
- Understand estimation techniques, backlog tracking, burn-down metrics, velocity, and task definition
- Familiarity with common Agile practices, service-oriented environments, and effective development practices
- Software development or other related technical background
- Experience in working with teams whose members are located in more than one country
- Certified Scrum Master accreditation via a recognised industry source
- Experience in the use of Agile project management software such as Jira
- Experience of other project management methods, ie Prince would also be valuable in relating to other team members who use these techniques to deliver their business objectives
- Appreciation of development techniques such as TDD, BDD, continuous integration and development and XP
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice