Role Title Chief Sub-Editor/Production Editor
Department Bridge Studio, News UK
Reporting line Commercial Managing Editor
Line reports Multi-Media Sub-Editors
Bridge Studio is the strategic content agency for The Bridge, the commercial sales department at News UK.
We create campaigns for our clients and agencies that harness emotions to change how people think, feel and act around commercial brands. We do this by telling stories that entertain, excite and inspire across all platforms: digital, print, video, social, audio, events and more.
We craft editorial content that forges powerful connections with the audiences reached by News UK’s news-brands and channels: The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless radio, Unruly and Storyful.
The Bridge Studio creative team includes creative leads, designers, picture editors and sub-editors delivering the best blend of editorial, branding, social sharing and interactive content. Our wide range of editorial expertise and diverse skillsets give Bridge Studio the ability to find and present the most compelling stories.
The chief sub-editor will work across Bridge Studio’s campaigns and help to maximise their effectiveness by setting and maintaining the editorial standard of our copy, and managing a cross-platform commercial sub-editing team.
An impeccable understanding of grammar and syntax is a given, as is a flair for language, accomplished proof-reading ability and a thorough understanding of commercial branded content. This is crucial role that will help shape the editorial voice of Bridge Studio.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Ensures the standard of our copy and editorial quality remains as high as possible
- Is platform agnostic and has the ability to work cross-platform, with due consideration for both commercial brand effectiveness and audience user journey
- Oversees the work of the sub-editors, including monitoring tone, quality and accuracy and providing feedback and offering guidance to the team in improving and refining their output
- Manages freelance resourceand rota
- Ensure copy goes through the production process as efficiently as possible to meet deadlines and budgets
- Has solid knowledge of the different tones and styles of each brand and platform across the News UK portfolio and ensure this is maintained
- Responsibility for final reading and preparation/sign off of pages, articles, SEO/amplification headlines, commercial pitch decks and mock-ups
- Works effectively with creative lead, design, picture and digital optimisation teams
- Collaborates daily with project management team to deliver campaigns to deadline
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Extensive experience as chief sub editor, deputy chief sub-editor or similar editorial role
- Experience of managing and developing sub-editors and freelance contractors
- Management of a cross platform production workflow
- Excellent written English and a flair for short, sharp copy that balances the commercial with the creative
- Experience of the commercial content market and how to produce content for commercial brands, clients and agencies
- Well versed in social media-specific concepts. With an understanding of execution formats and creative best practice for social media networks: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, LinkedIn and YouTube
- A level-headed, entrepreneurial and spirited approach to the job
- Genuinely interested in producing the best possible cross-platform content for clients
- The ability to think quickly, adapt and problem solve in a fast paced environment
- A ‘can-do’ approach to working collaboratively
- Sound diplomacy and negotiation skills
- Ability to manage several projects at once and with keen attention to detail and process
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice