Role: Data Quality and Operations Analyst
Department: News UK Technology
Reporting to: Head of Data Quality, Testing and Operations - Data Technology
Location: The News Building, 1 London Bridge Street, London SE1 9GF
Who We Are
We are Technology, a department with people and product at our heart. Passionate and trusted experts creating industry leading solutions with a focus on Agile delivery. CIO of the Year 2016 (Women in IT Awards), Christina Scott, leads the department and has worked for many years transforming technology teams in media companies.
We are Data Tech, a programme that comprises a number of agile, cross-functional teams between London and Bangalore. We grow data platforms, build front-end products and create predictive models for News UK. We focus on the capture, management and utilisation of customer, clickstream and content data, in order to drive growth and increase revenue for our users. Our users include the newsroom editors, marketing, advertising and product teams associated with our world-leading digital and print publications.
Who we’re looking for
Data Tech is a growth area in News UK and we strongly believe in giving our people a clear direction of travel with lots of autonomy to innovate. We want to attract people who have a passion for data and the bravery to take risks with bold ideas. We are building self-organised, highly motivated teams who have the curiosity to ask questions of everything and the optimism to take on exciting challenges.
We are looking for a Business Analyst with the ability to act as a proxy-Product Owner within the News UK Data Programme. You will be working with a number of cross-functional software engineering teams and data scientists delivering a range of data products and platform capabilities for News UK. You will also work closely with the Product Owner to create ongoing prioritised roadmaps of work, which drive value for the business.
This is a hands-on, delivery-focused role working with local and remote teams, but the role will also provide opportunities to be involved in building strategy. You are expected to have a rich understanding of business analysis tools and techniques and the confidence to apply them appropriately with the agile teams you work with.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
News UK is seeking a Data Quality & Ops analyst to work within the Data Technology team. You will be responsible for ensuring News UK have a high level of data quality through reports and also be part of the testing cycle.
The Data Technology team are responsible for News UK's data platforms and data products. They work with a diverse range of data and information (from structured to big data, and covering both digital and non-digital) and make available to the rest of News UK for research, analytics and driving great user experiences. Critically, the team will also own master data management, understand data lineage and definitions and be responsible for data quality.
You will be part of a small team responsible for ensuring high quality data across multiple sources and platforms.
The following skills are essential or desirable.
- Maintaining high quality of data by setting on-going checks and validations
- Forensically examining & profiling data and creating data quality dashboards to monitor the quality of data, with a skew to recently launched Betting & Gaming data
- Understand, audit and monitor data from various sources
- Be part of the testing process within our sprints to sign off data processes and data quality that the data engineering team have produced
- Being confident with data to create scenario tests
- Data validation, issue identification and issue resolution
- Support test plans
- Establish good working relationships and communication channels with relevant departments.
- Support the Data Quality & Operations team in all areas they cover including data quality, operations and scheduling
- Provide project support where necessary
- University degree with a preference for a numerate, computer science, information technology degree with 2.1 or higher (or equivalent)
- At least 3 years’ experience in data quality and / or testing and / or data analysis
- Proficient in Microsoft SQL Server
- Knowledge of PowerShell, SAS, Tableau advantageous
- Good level of computer literacy
- Always setting a high level of professionalism
- Ability to establish credibility and develop effective business relationships with colleagues
- Team player – ability to fit in with team and department colleagues.
- Proven passion for data
- Pragmatic and detail oriented
- You will need to have a strong interest in 'big data'
- Excellent communication skills
You can find further information about News UK here:
News UK is home to some of the biggest names in Media, Including, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun, Wireless, and Unruly to name but a few.
Wireless itself is also the home to some of the biggest names in radio Virgin Radio, talkSPORT, talkRADIO and some of the leading Local radio stations in the UK and Ireland.
Our newspapers and associated brands are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK and Wireless is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.
News UK acknowledges our responsibilities when handling your personal data as part of our recruitment processes to ensure it is respected, valued and protected. For further information on how we collect and process your data and your rights please review our Candidate Privacy Notice on the News UK Careers website: Privacy Notice