Job Title Finance Analyst – Times Circulation
Line Manager Head of Finance - TNL
Direct Reports [Works closely with Operations Sales & Marketing Team Peterborough]
The Finance Analyst – Times Circulation is responsible for reporting, analysing and advising on all financial aspects of the print circulation of TNL including revenues, retail and wholesale margins, and associated marketing spend. This role will work closely with the Category Manager to produce informed forecasts and budgets for circulation volumes.
This role will also work closely with the Head of Finance New Business Ventures and Director of Branded Business and Partnerships to ensure accurate reporting and insightful commercial analysis informs good decision making in non-edition areas of the business.
Strong financial and accounting skills required to oversee the accurate consolidated performance reporting for TNL, liaising closely with Operations Sales & Marketing Team in Peterborough as well as Group Reporting Team and Key Business Stakeholders
- Provide the marketing teams with financial and commercial support to continuously improve financial decision making.
- Influence and challenge stakeholders on their plans and execution of their plans in order to drive efficient and effective use of budget.
- Work closely with stakeholders to support supplier negotiations.
Planning & Forecasting
- Lead and support the Head of Finance - TNL in monthly and quarterly planning, forecasting and review processes, keeping all relevant stakeholders engaged and up to date on performance and future plans
- Understand and challenge the underlying planning assumptions that support all forecasts.
- Work closely with the marketing teams across all titles within News UK to ensure reported spend, both actuals and forecast, is an accurate reflection of activity.
- Identify risks and opportunities to both costs and circulation volumes and make recommendations to positively impact the outcome.
- Own, upkeep and be the expert on detailed Marketing plans for TNL as a whole, ensuring that details are accurate and are ready to review with marketing or finance stakeholders at short notice.
- Ensure TNL circulation and forecasting processes are accurate and streamlined, in addition to keeping key relevant stakeholders involved and communicated to – in order to produce a consolidated view of TNL Total Paid Sales volumes and revenues for which this role will be responsible
- Investment appraisal (IA) for new offers, campaigns and incentives (P&Ls). The IA will clearly identifies aims, details of project and clear outcomes/measures whilst considering risks; for approval of SLT/Exec where necessary.
- Introduce and maintain a formal post investment review (PIR) process for investment decisions with a focus on determining marketing effectiveness and informing allocation of resources.
- Perform regular ‘deep dive’ analysis, often using large sets of data, of key sales channels to identify areas for improvement ie Retail Trading Agreements / Retail Field Force.
- Weekly and Monthly reporting of relevant costs and balance sheet reconciliations.
- Maintain and enhance all sales and marketing effectiveness KPI reporting, such as sales uplifts, accurate promotional costs and market share analysis.
- Provide inputs for all Brand, Promotions and Retail related numbers in the production of quarterly performance review packs.
- Main point of contact with Group Reporting for all queries relating to reported actuals, forecasts and budgets for Brand, Promotions and Retail spend.
- Responsible for maintaining and improving TM1 reporting for Brand, Promotions and Retail spend
- Work closely with sales and marketing finance colleagues to share best practice and align priorities.
- Provide ad hoc support to all areas of Sales & Marketing finance as and when necessary.
Must be fully qualified (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) with ideally at least 1 year PQE in a commercial environment.
- Analysis – Expert
- Modelling – Foundation
- Reporting & Compliance – Intermediate
- Business Knowledge & Expertise – Intermediate
- Qualification & Experience – Intermediate
- Leadership – Foundation
- Communicating & Influencing – Intermediate
- Relationship Management – Intermediate
- People & Resource Management – Foundation
- Setting Direction & Decision Making – Intermediate
This role requires an ability to influence stakeholders to consider their allocation of resources carefully in order to promote good business decisions. In addition this role requires a robust approach to management accounting to ensure any outputs are right first time.
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.