Our Department, Technology, has people and product at its heart. Christina Scott, CIO of the Year 2016, leads the department. With many years experience transforming technology in media companies she has set out our vision of passionate and trusted experts creating industry leading solutions through attracting and developing the best talent.
Our Team, Sun Engineering, is part of a thriving engineering community in Technology who design, develop and operate all of News UK's customer facing products and platforms. We are ushering in a new age of products, focusing on new technologies and platforms that will drive our strategic goals across the eco-system, starting with the core website and including a portfolio of products such as Dream Team, Sun Football and others.
You have a passion for software engineering and everything that goes into building great products. That includes the code, the people and processes that go into creating those fantastic products. You understand that through the use of engineering best practices and building self-organized, highly motivated and empowered teams, the best outcomes become realised.
Day to day you will:
● Establish OSS projects & principles within the team.
● Be the public face of the team, speaking at events and meetups representing the work you are doing.
● Be deeply involved in both the broader technical and at times the business strategy of The Sun and our other portfolio of products.
● Accountable and responsible for knowledge sharing across The Sun engineering teams ensuring that the team are never out of touch with current industry best practices and trends.
● Working to help deliver world class software engineering projects of which you are proud to publicly claim to be your work at News UK.
● Drive evolutionary and challenging architectural solutions which maintain cohesiveness across the organisation as a whole.
● Responsible for the line management of engineers in your team.
Skills we look for:
● Be able to work in multiple programming languages to a professional level whilst also be able to quickly pick up any programming language or framework.
We are looking for you to share our passion for building digital products and what can be achieved through innovative new technology. We are evangelists of agile and lean, although we aren’t rigid in our approach you should be comfortable working in a devops, kanban or scrum environment. You will work with a diverse group of people from editorial, marketing to those on the newsroom floor so a combined curiosity for people and technology and how the two come together is important. You will be a natural problem solver but also brave, to challenge the status quo, and to work on ambitions and exciting products. Above all we’re optimistic about the future of News and know we will achieve great things, working with the best people in industry, including, hopefully you.
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.