What’s the job? Digital Marketing Executive, 12 month FTC
Where do I work? News UK – The Times Newspaper Ltd Marketing & Sales team, News Building, London Bridge
Who do I report into? Digital Marketing Manager - Subscription Sales & Marketing
Why are we here? To attract passionate, loyal and valuable customers to our brands.
Sales and Marketing Department
The Times Newspaper Ltd Marketing & Sales department is made up of 4 teams; Brand Strategy & Planning, Retention, Engagement & Operations, Content Sales and Propositions & Market Development, working together to deliver the Sales & Marketing vision. Our strategic objectives:
- Be distinct and differentiated
- Know our customers better
- Do more with customer relationships
- Fuel passions for our brands among customers and staff
- Grow the volume of repeat, known customers
- Grow average revenue per user
- Maximise the life time value of our customers
- Own the customer experience from beginning to end
What’s my personal contribution?
To increase consideration and optimise ecommerce conversion of digital and print subscription sales for The Times and The Sunday Times in UK, Ireland, and International Markets.
Be the hub of digital marketing expertise within the TNL Sales and Marketing team.
What are my Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Support in the delivery of a 'best in class' digital marketing strategy, including, but not limited to, display media, paid social, PPC and SEO, to drive quality traffic and, ultimately, new digital and print subscriptions
- Cross-market and cross-team responsibility to drive digital sales, working closely with the Digital Strategy and Ecommerce Managers, for a unified acquisition strategy across UK, ROI and International markets.
- In conjunction with the media agency, optimise the digital media plan, making informed budged allocation decisions to achieve sales and CPA targets across all markets
- Maintain an up-to-date working knowledge of advertising technology, including biddable, audience and creative technology, to test and ensure media plans and their delivery are taking advantage of the latest developments
- Engage with the media agency and other third party agencies/relationships to drive optimal performance and cost effectiveness. Ensure activity is in line with strategies & plans and targets are in place & activity is regularly reviewed.
- Continuously monitor, analyse, and act on data to drive conversion improvements across all aspects of the digital sales journey – from media optimisation, to marketing creative / messaging and landing page selection.
- Work with the DMP data to introduce customer segmentation into the digital media, targeting offers and creative differently depending on customer attributes
- Collaborate with the Audience Development Manager to develop efficient methods of testing propositions, channels and audience targeting techniques to deliver the optimal level sales from (non-subscribed) registered users
- Identify and manage 3rd party technologies / tools / partners that can be used to drive short and long term conversion improvements
- Provide constant feedback to the Sales, Marketing, Technology, Customer Experience teams on performance of propositions and campaigns, using Insight and analysis to constantly optimise activities.
- Work with insights teams from internal and external partners (agencies and News UK teams) to inform decision making and strategy development
- Work with the Propositions and Market Development team on business cases for key activity, taking input from Finance where required
- Improve performance of the function / department through the analysis of existing business processes, identifying innovative alternatives and recommendations for more effective or efficient ‘ways of working’ / product / service
- Drive the efficient delivery of organisational change projects in support of News UK’s strategic agenda within a culture of empowerment through personal leadership
- Provide support and expert guidance to the Brand team on digital journey optimisation for key brand campaigns
What do I Know?
Useful knowledge, skills and experience
- Be a ‘digital native’ – thorough and proven experience of using digital media to drive sales through digital channels
- Proven understanding of DSP, DMP and DCO technology to drive optimal acquisition performance and efficiencies
- Passionate about digital customer journey optimisation and being bold in testing new ideas and hypotheses
- Knowledge of multi-territory international marketing
- Passion for understanding consumer behaviour and developing marketing strategies to engage, attract and convert new prospects.
- Thorough understanding and ideally experience of the end to end creative and media process
- Be able to take a pro-active “test and learn” approach to testing and optimising to inform decisions and direction
- Be comfortable and confident in suggesting bold decisions to test new ideas and strategies, challenging the norm, with a ‘fail fast, learn fast’ mentality
- Proven experience of developing and executing high quality creative across traditional and digital channels.
- Have experience of working in an innovative subscriptions market that use digital as the primary acquisition channel.
- Strong relationship building skills to develop and nurture stakeholder relationships across News UK, and externally.
- Have excellent communication and presentation skills to develop a narrative to sell an idea and tell a compelling story to team members, peers, stakeholders, senior execs.
- Proven ability to work in the here and now in a fast paced marketing and trading environment, as well as keeping one eye on developing strategy and longer term plans.
What do I Show?
As a department, we have 5 values that guide our day to day work. We call them the 5 C’s
We want people that relish a challenge; are resilient, adaptable to change, enjoy a fast paced environment, and are not afraid to question what’s gone before whilst having a passion for doing things differently.
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.