Legal Counsel, Commercial Legal Affairs
Purpose of Role
Legal Counsel to provide marketing, IP and commercial legal services to the Betting & Gaming, Marketing, Editorial and Licensing teams across the News UK business.
- Provide effective management of commercial and white label contracts (i.e. drafting, negotiation and interpretation)
- Review front-end/acquisition marketing materials to ensure they are legally compliant in terms of consumer and e-commerce laws and regulations.
- Draft user terms and conditions for News UK’s products, competitions, offers and promotions.
- Negotiate and draft licensing contracts.
- Ad clearance for the marketing teams.
- Data agreements.
- Regulatory compliance for the betting and gaming teams (previous experience not essential).
- General IP support
- Qualified solicitor with appropriate post qualification experience; able to practice in England and Wales.
- Demonstrable high quality private practice experience.
- Excellent knowledge of all key aspects of marketing, contract, commercial and IP law.
- This is a business focussed role and therefore the candidate must demonstrate an ability to communicate legal advice clearly and concisely in a commercial environment.
- Solid, practical knowledge of data protection, new media and e-commerce is essential.
- Dynamic and able to work in a fast paced and demanding environment.
- Excellent problem diagnosis and analytical skills; with an ability to resolve disputes or log jams effectively.
- Ability to work to tight project deadlines and can adapt to differing demands; prioritises tasks, where appropriate.
- Ability to work well unsupervised, demonstrating initiative and the ability to be proactive, while also being able to follow instructions and provide support to Senior Legal Counsel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to interact positively at all levels within the company and work effectively within both a business team and as part of a legal department.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent client/customer facing skills and a commitment to the provision of high quality legal services.
- Methodical approach to work, with a strong focus on accuracy and quality.
- Able to be an ambassador for News UK and the Legal Department.
News UK is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.