What's the job? News Reporter (casual)
Where do I work? The Scottish Sun
Who's my manager? Online News Editor
Why are we here? To build the audience of and increase engagement at thescottishsun.co.uk
How do we contribute? By inspiring more readers to engage and choose our print and
What's my personal contribution? Producing outstanding, creative and engaging news stories for The Scottish Sun Online.
What are my key accountabilities?
- To produce first class digital news content every day.
- Turn around copy and content quickly and accurately; mindful of IPSO and legal issues
- Identify stories and subjects which will drive traffic and develop them
- Working as part of a team and able to contribute across a range of subjects
- Building contacts to maintain a flow of news
- Having an instinct for how to ‘sell’ a digital story to get maximum impact on The Scottish Sun’s platforms and also on social media
- Being able to write in a concise and entertaining way in keeping with Scottish Sun style but free from cliche
- Understanding how to recirculate readers within The Scottish Sun and keep them engaged with our content
- Being able to work as part of a team in a constantly adapting working environment that is always striving to find the new way of telling news stories
- Working with video desk and picture desk to maximum effect
- Interviewing people in a range of different circumstances
- Live online reporting or real-time blogging when covering breaking news
- Keeping line managers informed on changes that arise as stories develop
- Exposure on a national newspaper, agency or senior experience on a daily local paper
- Excellent, fast-writing and subbing skills
- Passion for all things news
- Keen attention to detail and meticulous fact checking
- Able to suggest new angles to news/features desks
- A wide knowledge of current affairs, trends and showbiz
- Flexible attitude to working hours across seven days
- Ability to act upon potential legal issues and act in accordance with PCC Code of Conduct
- A willingness to embrace ongoing digital challenges such as social media
- Good head under pressure
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.