We are: News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an organisation that holds journalism at it’s very heart. Our newspapers and digital products include some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world: the Times, The Sunday Times and The Sun - reaching 30 million people each week. Despite differences in audience and content our brands are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects our customers.
News UK Technology, a team with people and product at our heart. Passionate and trusted experts creating industry leading solutions through attracting and developing the best talent. CIO of the Year (women in technology) 2016, Christina Scott, leads the department and has worked for many years transforming technology teams in media companies.
We are: The Data Technology team are responsible for News UK's data platforms & products. We work with a diverse range of data including structured and ‘big data’ and we make this available to the rest of News UK for research, analytics and providing great user experiences. Critically, the team also owns master data management, understands data lineage and definitions and is responsible for data quality. We enable and partner with News UK teams to identify business opportunities and make customer led decisions.
You will manage a team of data engineers responsible for ETL/data engineering on our Redshift data warehouse. You will also be hands-on, developing the data infrastructure as well as driving improvements in processes to improve performance, quality & efficiency.
Day to day you will:
- Manage a team of data engineers across two sites, London & Bangalore
- Lead the design, build & test ETL processes using SAS DI Studio & SQL for the corporate data warehouse
- Build presentation layer views implementing business rules
- Technical support of data warehouse & BI tools
- Identification, analysis and resolution of production and development bugs
- Support the release process including completing and reviewing documentation
- Configure data mappings and transformations to orchestrate data integration and validation
- Document solutions, tools and processes
- Create and support test plans with hands-on testing
- Enhance team processes
- Peer reviews of work developed by other data engineers within the team
The skills we look for:
- Experience in data management, including SQL experience, ideally in a large scale, high volume, data warehouse environment, e.g. Amazon Redshift, Teradata
- Similar management experience
- Hands-on experience & ideally certification in:
- SAS Data Integration Studio (DI) ETL tool
- SAS Base & Macro language
- Unit, system & integration test experience
- Skilled at working with APIs, ETL tools, Java, Python, SQL Server, PowerShell
- Understanding & experience of agile / scrum delivery methodology
We’re passionate about what we do and equally want to see your passion for data. We’re always exploring new ways of working so we’re looking for you to be curious about how we can enhance and optimise our processes. You’ll be working closely with the business so you’ll be a good at building relationships and will display optimism for what can be achieved.
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.