What’s the job? Communications Manager
Where do I work? News UK London Bridge
Who’s my manager? Deputy Director of Communications
Who reports to me? N/A
What is the goal of this role?
Corporate Affairs leads internal and external communications for News UK and the Wireless Group, and is focussed on managing corporate messages and B2B PR to both internal and external audiences. We are looking for an experienced communications manager, positioned at the heart of the team, that will work with departments across the business, developing strategies and storylines and finding opportunities to drive coverage that promotes the business both internally and externally.
This is a great role for someone with the right attitude and aptitude. Working hours will be 09:00 – 18:00, Monday – Friday. Flexibility is required during exceptionally busy periods and therefore evening and weekend working may be required at times.
What are my accountabilities?
- Working as part of a team, the role will encompass building internal relationships with the following B2B teams for News UK: The Bridge (ad sales), Marketing teams for The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times, Technology and Retail
- Work with all the above teams to develop strategies and surface storylines
- Proactively pursue positive coverage to drive business and improve the flow of key messages to potential partners, external and internal audiences
- Develop ideas and deliver internal communications to support employee engagement, including events, emails, business updates and developments ensuring staff are kept well informed and on message
- Run events that communicate the company messages and engage staff in our brands (e.g. Q & A with Exec members, arranging occasional panel interviews with key celebrities or our journalists i.e. inspirational sport person)
- Manage focused responses to industry data (ABC, NRS, Comscore, RAJAR etc.)
- Work with the team in handling incoming ad hoc press enquiries
- Develop engaging ideas for social channels and website management
- Draft press releases, quotes and speech notes
- Circulate relevant articles to internal executives
- Act as a champion of the business, telling effective ‘stories’ about our business as we engage staff
- Manage CSR projects along with the Director and HR where relevant
Who are my contacts?
- Broader Corporate Affairs team (News UK, Wireless Group and News Corp)
- Executive teams and their Leadership teams
What experience must I have?
- A minimum of 4 years experience in a comms role
- Knowledge of and experience of working with trade titles and general media
- Good understanding of how our brands and the rest of the media works
- Experience within a news brand or advertising will be an advantage.
- Self-starter. Confident enough to take a brief and proactively run with it.
- Experience of devising and executing internal and external communication strategies
What competencies must I have?
- Confident individual with an ability to work under pressure and to very tight deadlines
- Motivated, collaborative, and positive
- Ability to organise events and manage projects
- Strong written communications skills - precise and careful with language
- Able to prioritise key facts when presented with vast quantities of data
- Attention to detail and write to a high standard
- Good judgement about issues and potential implications
- Able to work independently and in a complex matrix organization
- Understands journalism – the ethics, regulations, practices and content creation process
- Proactive, inquisitive and with the ability to spot a good story
- Able to quickly create professional relationships with key internal and external contacts
- Passion about the news business
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.