Senior UX Designer
As a Senior User Experience Designer, you will report to the Deputy Head of User Experience, with a dotted line to the Head of New Product Incubation, TNL (Times News Limited) New Business Ventures. You will play a pivotal role in developing engaging, elegant and efficient digital experiences for the TNL New Business Ventures.
You will be involved in every aspect of the product development process, from brainstorming the next great product innovation to tweaking right before launch. Working as part of a cross-functional team alongside product managers, visual designers and developers, you will be expected to utilise your full range of interaction design skills and talents in collaborative, agile projects to deliver great experiences across mobile and web. As an enthusiastic and driven UX Designer you will understand requirements and create user-centred experiences to the highest standards.
TNL New Business Ventures is an innovation division focussed on the development and incubation of new digital revenues for the Times and Sunday Times. As part of a rapidly expanding new business unit, you will uncover market opportunities; develop new concepts, rapidly testing and validating business models. The division operates autonomously from the rest of the business, and comprises a tiger team of cross-disciplinary experts who share an entrepreneurial passion for delivering purposeful and valuable customer experiences.
This is a unique opportunity to work in a start-up culture, but have all the advantages of leveraging the Times brand, and it’s unique ability to influence the affluent.
- Apply user-centered design approaches to address complex design problems and provide sound design solutions
- Work with the Product Managers to define and deliver solutions for products, aligning them to the brand strategy and proposition.
- Participate in work across the entire product lifecycle from brainstorming and concepts to designing the finished product
- Working with Product Manager, lead workshops, design sprints and ideation sessions as required
- Ensure that product designs balance customer needs with business goals and the brand vision
- Support research teams by undertaking usability studies, testing and competitive reviews as needed
- Create UX deliverables including sketches, storyboards, user journeys and developing prototypes & wireframes
- Effectively communicate product ideas and concepts
- Work with the team to build prototypes where necessary to visualise products and features, for user research, stakeholder communications and for development teams
- Utilise qualitative and quantitative data, from user testing, web analytics, pilots, beta programs, customer support, MVT testing, focus groups etc, to inform your designs and recommendations.
- Write/create relevant documentation if necessary as a way of supporting recommendations.
Skills & Experience:
- Have a good working knowledge of information architecture, content, and UX design solutions
- A track record of leading the successful delivery of user centric solutions in an agile environment.
- Proven experience working with senior level stakeholders in editorial, marketing, design, product and technology
- Creative and conceptual thinker able to develop innovative solutions to problems
- Experience in sketching out storyboarding, user journeys and developing low fidelity prototypes
- Show advanced skills in UX tools including Axure, InVision etc and other UX-based tools
- A good multi-channel portfolio showing concepts, rapid prototyping, top level interface designs, through to high fidelity designs across multiple devices
- Experience working in an iterative, agile environment, with experience of ‘lean startup’ environments an advantage
- Experience in aiding and conducting in-person user studies, guerilla research, A/B testing, quantitative tests and other research methods
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.