We are: News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an organisation that holds journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and digital products include some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world: the Times, The Sunday Times and The Sun - reaching 30 million people each week. Despite differences in audience and content our brands are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects our customers.
Technology, a team with people and product at our heart. Passionate and trusted experts creating industry leading solutions through attracting and developing the best talent. CTO of the Year (Tech Leaders) 2017, Christina Scott, leads the department and has worked for many years transforming technology teams in media companies.
Business Analysis lives in the Delivery team that also comprises Programme Leads and PMO. Business Analysis works in close partnership with Product Management to drive clear understanding of business value in our product backlogs, provide analysis skillsets in surfacing the detail of how our business operates, and facilitating quality, creative conversations between technology teams and business stakeholders. Our customers include the newsroom editors, marketing, advertising, technology and product teams associated with our world leading digital and print publications.
The role will be split 50/50 between carrying out a Senior Business Analyst role and a team lead role for half the business analysis team.
Senior Business Analyst role: The majority of our work is based in supporting our product technology teams who are working with Scrum or Kanban practises. You will ensure their backlogs are high quality in terms of content, visibility, and understanding of business value. You will ensure you are working in partnership with the PO to perform in depth analysis so that the PO is clear on what stories and acceptance criteria are required and important. You’ll also make sure there is a clear, measurable understanding of the business value of those stories. Teams and POs should write their own stories but you will coach the scrum teams on how to structure and format good stories and actively ensure you are not acting as a translator/scribe between the PO and the team. When stories are delivered ensure there is feedback to the team on the value that was created. You should actively find ways to understand our products and our business, its’ aspirations and strategic direction. There will be some work that is not based around our core products and may be compliance related, or speculative investigative work. You should also expect to actively research best practice and strategic direction within the the industry and find ways to share this back into the team.
Team Lead role: You will have line management responsibility for half the business analysis team, approximately 4 permanent staff and 2 contract staff but numbers fluctuate according to demand.
Day to day you will:
- Plan a business analysis approach for complex situations.
- Prepare for complex elicitation activities.
- Validate complex information in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Test and verify that relevant stakeholders understand the business analysis information.
- Support others in complex stakeholder collaboration situations.
- Align complex requirements with design independently.
- Share requirements/designs to identify overlaps and trends with stakeholders.
- Guide complex impact resolutions activities.
- Resolve complex issues and conflicts independently and lead others in this task.
- Define business needs so that they:
o can be resolved,
o are easy to understand (complex needs are explained and stated simply), and
o are actionable.
- Synthesize complex data from disparate sources and understand how they impact the enterprise or organization.
- Define and mitigate undesirable consequences while transitioning to a final future state.
- Consistently develop effective change strategies, even for complex situations.
- Apply business acumen when analyzing, synthesizing, and refining elicitation results into requirements and designs.
- Meet regularly with peers and counterparts to discuss methods of ensuring design quality.
- Prepare business cases including ROI and cost benefit analysis
- Track benefits realization
- Use estimation/sizing techniques
- Requirements elicitation and documentation using User Stories or Use Cases
- Use appropriate analysis documentation, e.g. user journeys, process flows, data flows
You will also lead your team, mentoring and developing them, evidencing first hand how you carry out all of the above.
- 3 - 15 years experience of IT project delivery within a digital environment using agile practises
- Demonstrable experience of mentoring or leading other BAs in analysis
- Good degree in a financial, business or technology field
About you: Soft skills
You’re a good communicator, able to present solutions clearly logically and in a confident manner. Able to articulate risks and their impact you are used to working autonomously and understand the importance of structured thinking. You can decompose the abstract into tangible detail.
At Principal level you inspire trust from your team and stakeholders and are able to balance the need of the business with project constraints. As a leader you listen, understand your team's motivation and provide clarity to them on team and departmental vision and goals.
Last but by no means least you have a passion for driving business value. Are curious about the company, what we do, our data and processes. You choose to be optimistic through challenging times and are brave enough to have difficult conversations when needed.
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.