We are looking for a developer with interest in the news media to join our newsroom development team. The successful candidate will join five other developers and a product manager, who are working to change the way our journalism is produced for a highly-engaged digital audience.
Help shape our digital transition
The Times is a 230 year old newspaper, the longest publishing national daily, and The Sunday Times is the UK’s widest-reaching quality Sunday newspaper.
Our subscription-based business strategy provides us with a meaningful relationship with our readers and allows us to work directly for a dedicated, passionate group of news-junkies, who expect a best-in-class experience online as in print.
Responsible for work such as the 2017 General Election hub, ‘Could you be an assistant referee’ video game, and The Sunday Times Top 100 Restaurants, you will use your judgement to inform how we best tell stories digitally.
Use best-in-class technologies every day
We are happy that there are different tools for different jobs, and are not scared to move into new areas or try new technologies when the opportunity arises, and enjoy experimenting with whatever gets the job done best.
Hone your skills with challenging projects
The team you will join works between short term agenda-setting stories decided with a few days notice; medium term newsroom projects, special supplements, and events such as the election and global sports; and long term tooling programmes and initiatives to improve The Times and Sunday Times’ abilities to move quickly in a digital world.
Day to day you’ll be…
- Building out new tools for the newsroom based on direct feedback from our staff
- From your first few weeks, taking the lead on smaller projects where you will be the on-point developer
- Giving and receiving feedback in thorough code reviews of the team’s work
- Working on the entire process of a project, from prototype and ideation, through to delivered product
- Thinking about how we can improve our output, and suggesting ideas to achieve that
- Sharing your learnings on the latest trends in media and technology with the team in our Slack channels
- Working with agility and freedom, without a prescriptive framework
- Experience working as a developer in a professional capacity (not necessarily at a news organisation)
- An interest in the news agenda and journalism
- Experience with backend technologies such as NodeJS and PHP
- Experience with common database technologies, both SQL and noSQL
- Experience with Git as a version control service
- Experience working directly with the CLI in the terminal
- Familiarity with cloud computing providers
- Appreciation for web performance and accessibility
- A healthy understanding of user-experience and design
- Previous experience working on large-scale software, especially with a microservice architecture
- Previous work using AWS as a cloud service provider
- Familiarity with serverless (lambda) and application orchestration services (elastic beanstalk/docker)
To apply please send a CV and cover letter and include, any open-source code you have written, any projects you have worked on
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.