Finance - Strategy
Job Title Strategy Finance Manager
Line Manager Head of Finance – Strategy
Direct Reports Strategy Finance Analyst
Role The Strategy Finance Manager position sits within the focused, high calibre Finance Strategy team, working closely with the Head of Finance, the Finance Director, and other parts of Finance, to provide robust strategic insight, manage the strategic planning process, modelling for the long range plan, as well as providing comprehensive competitor, industry and economic analysis, strategic analysis, and ad hoc cross business project work.
Strategic & Business Planning
- Day to day responsibility for the consolidated planning process, including establishing the process within the annual finance calendar and ensuring the models are fit for purpose and outputs accurate
- Leading on the preparation of the financials for the three year business plan and engaging with counterparts across the business and finance to ensure that assumptions are appropriate, accurate and complete
- Clear articulation of assumptions and interdependencies
- Engaging with finance counterparts as part of the annual planning cycle, facilitating a process of reconciliation of competing/differing assumptions
- Support on KPI development aligned with corporate strategy
- Producing presentation material to support the planning outputs including Budget presentations and associated narratives
Market & Competitor Analysis:
- Managing competitor analysis and tracking market developments to then apply learnings/insight to News UK and providing recommendations for improvement
- Challenging our understanding of our business based on the external analysis
- Sourcing key external forecasts, reports, insight as well as assisting in presentation materials produced for the Head of Finance, Strategy
- Understand drivers of competitor profitability, KPIs, risks and opportunities and modelling of competitor performance
Strategy and Ad Hoc Projects:
- Responsible for financial analysis and Business case development to support new corporate strategies, initiatives and opportunities on an on-going basis
- Provide strategic analysis to determine effectiveness of the corporate strategy and analysis to support changes on a periodic basis
- Supporting Head of Finance to produce ad hoc presentation material
- Ad hoc Investor Relations and CFO requests
- Take a role in enhancing internal communications, the role of Finance and coordination of cross-Departmental initiatives
- Liaise and coordinate with the other Finance Managers to ensure a streamlining of processes and systems
- Develop and drive performance of team members
- Analysis – Expert
- Presentation of key outputs - Expert
- Modelling – Expert
- Reporting & Compliance – Intermediate
- Business Knowledge & Expertise – Intermediate
- Qualification & Experience – Expert
- PowerPoint - Expert
- Industry Experience – Preferable
- Leadership – Intermediate
- Communicating & Influencing – Intermediate
- Relationship Management – Intermediate
- People & Resource Management – Intermediate
- Setting Direction & Decision Making – Intermediate
- Accounting Qualification – ACA/CA preferred
- Strategy Consulting / Big 4 experience preferred
- Strong academic record (Economics, Finance, Accounting background preferred).
- Strong modelling skills
- Exposure to Understanding Company Strategy
- TM1 experience – Beneficial
This role requires excellent presentation skills and excellent attention to detail. Expectations of the outputs of this role are high.
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.