Role Title: Logistics Planning Manager (Primary Distribution)
Sub-Function or Area: Wholesale & Logistics Services
Reporting Line: 1.Line Manager’s Job Title – Senior Logistics Planning Manager
2. Manager’s Manager – Head of Wholesale & Logistics Services
Summary of Function & Sub-Function or Area
The Operations function…
The Logistics team within Newsprinters ensure a robust, efficient, cost effective, flexible and sustainable route to market for all of News UK’s newspaper and magazine products and clients. The team builds and adapts our delivery functions that allow our products to go via, wholesale, DTR (Direct to Retail) or DTC (Direct to Consumer) dependant on the requirement and operates a full range of ancillary Logistics services e.g. warehousing, pick and pack, customer service etc. The function also looks to enable sustainable commercial growth through selling its services to third party customers.
Sub Function: Wholesale & Logistics Services…
Develop effective plans across all logistics functions to ensure an accurate, on-time, feasible and cost effective network. Ensure service levels are developed and exceeded through close and detailed monitoring of performance and effective action based resolution to issues identified. To operate an effective, proactive and robust customer interface to providing accurate, timely and consistent returns processing, billing and customer management. Closely working with the team to identify network optimisation opportunities and developing a continuous improvement approach across the dept. To build positive, supportive and productive working relationships within the team but also with other external teams, business partners and customers. To ensure the team is cross functional and had a strong teamwork ethic throughout.
Summary of the Role
This role provides a dedicated focus on the Primary Distribution planning functions within Newsprinters, based at Logistics Support Centre.
The Primary Planning Manager will ensure the effective and efficient daily management of the Primary distribution network. Responsible for end to end Primary distribution planning to facilitate the distribution of all our client’s and partner’s needs. Accountable for meeting budget and optimisation targets. Responsible for developing effective daily plans in-conjunction with all relevant stakeholders via rigorous review of the schedules to ensure optimum efficiency. To build positive, supportive and productive working relationships within the team but also with all of our supply chain partners and clients.
The main purpose of this role is to ensure all budgetary and service commitments are met. Effective management of this operation will require control of all day-to-day aspects of the Primary delivery channel from planning, performance management and financial control.
The position requires close liaison with the Joint Venture partners, Operations staff and with the appointed haulage contractors. The management and development of positive third party supplier relationships is a critical success factor within this role.
Primary Distribution is an important channel for providing newspapers directly to wholesale locations through the UK and ROI. Service levels are critical, given the highly demanding and articulate nature of the wholesaler base.
- Responsible for all BAU tasks for the Primary Distribution network
- Accountable for all Primary performance management and KPI reporting
- Principle contact for Primary Network service or delivery issues
- Financial responsibility for the Primary Distribution mode.
- Responsible for ensuring and maintaining data accuracy within the operation system
- Provide key support to the Senior Logistics Planning Manager on project work and core task management
- Supports the effective and efficient execution of the Primary Distribution model
- Provide day to day management of two Logistics Planning Co-ordinators, with accountability for their development
- Ensures effective and efficient channels of communication with accurate and timely shared information
- Provide support with ISO 9001 / 14001 / 18001 accreditations and daily management
- Responsible for identifying and executing optimisation plans, achieving challenging savings targets, within the Primary Network
- Development of Primary Planning processes, including mitigation of wholesale network issues and working practices
- Provide timely, accurate and insightful reporting that drives improvement
Management & Leadership
- Management responsibility for Logistics Planning Coordinators
- Support and cover for Senior Logistics Planning Manager during absence
- Coaches and develop junior team members
- Effective team communications (e.g. Complete regular 1:1’s)
Functional & Professional Knowledge
- Requires a high level of knowledge and experience of supply chain and logistics processes; inclusive of vehicle scheduling and transportation planning along with an understanding of transport legislation
- Must also understand supply chain and logistics processes; including planning, allocation, transport and production.
- Will have excellent operating knowledge of MS Excel and the ability to adapt to new procedural and proprietary systems as required
- Proficiency within SAP would be advantageous
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to the business needs and direction
- An understanding of Continuous Improvement processes
- Highly communicative, very reliable, flexible and able to work as part of a team in a pressured environment often to very tight deadlines
- Be exceptionally well organised with a high degree of logic
- Must understand role function and how this fits within the wider logistics team
- Must have knowledge of key internal stakeholders and the relationship of each with the logistics team
- Develop and build long term mutually beneficial relationships with business partners, customers and the team (Newsprinters, News UK, TMG, CEVA and external 3rd party teams
Managing Relationships & Communication
- Is an effective and concise communicator across multiple departments and management levels
- Understands the customers’ needs and can tailor solutions to meet these
- Develops and builds the day to day operational relationship with business partners, customers and the team
- Develops supplier relationships in order to improve service, efficiency and capability
- Collaborative, able to work across functions, teams, companies and industries with a mutual win philosophy
- Able to effectively apply knowledge to solve and advice on a wide variety of problems.
- Where required can use applied knowledge to make swift decisions
- Can map out and articulate potential solutions to problem areas
- Encourages team members to develop their own ideas and resolve their own issues
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.