What’s the job?
Digital News Reporter
£30,000 - £40,0000
Where do I work?
The Sun, News UK, London
Who’s my manager?
Digital News Editor
Why are we here?
To inspire more readers to engage, choose and buy our papers and digital products every day. We will achieve this by putting the reader at the heart of everything we do. Through our strategies, creativity, and innovation we will continue to maintain the relevance and value of The Sun. We relentlessly seek to lead the market, delivering the most engaging and informative content available.
What’s my personal contribution?
To produce outstanding, creative and engaging news stories for The Sun online covering a range of areas but specialising in coverage of European, predominantly French, and Australasian matters including but not limited to Travel, Politics, Education and Court Proceedings.
What are my accountabilities?
- To produce world class original and exclusive digital news content for The Sun every single day. We need reporters who can dig out the big exclusives to leave our rivals trailing.
- Building contacts to maintain a flow of news.
- Seeking out and investigating stories via contacts, press releases and other media.
- Producing concise and accurate copy in Sun style, being able to turn around stories quickly, working as part of a team on investigations and able to contribute to campaigns across a range of subjects.
- Interviewing people in a range of different circumstances.
- Keeping line managers informed on changes that arise as stories develop.
- Live online reporting or real-time blogging when covering important events.
- Demonstrable experience working at a major Australian newspaper
- Contacts within Australian police, including within federal and state services, Australian MPs, ministers, ambassadors and court officials.
- Ability to speak conversational French and be able to conduct interviews and deliver exclusives unable to be obtained by other journalists.
- Proven track record of producing influential exclusive stories
- Experience in international political reporting
- Experience in international education reporting
- Experience in covering international court inquests and hearings
- Experience in feature writing, including a track record in being able to deliver exclusive interviews, including with celebrities
- Experience in fashion reporting and delivering opinion pieces on latest trends
- Experienced in delivering travel articles, preferably also delivering own photographs for pieces
- Experience of UK court reporting and thorough knowledge of British media law
- Experience of door knocks in the UK
- Knowledge in sub editing, with experience in leading teams to publish websites and ipad copy for national mastheads
- Qualified in camera work and editing
- 100wpm shorthand as a minimum
- Full clean UK driving licence
Date posted: 3rd October 2017
Closing date 31st October 2017
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.