UX Designer - The Times & Sunday Times
Can you work within our UX team, informing and influencing the business in how the discipline embeds throughout a product’s life-cycle whilst delivering quality solutions?
The Times and the Sunday Times are looking for a UX Designer to join the team responsible for the digital output and user experience of our digital products. This position will work closely with the Deputy Head of UX as well as the wider product team.
Candidates need to have experience concepting high-quality digital solutions, including responsive websites and native apps. A strong understanding of UX design, processes and a portfolio to demonstrate this is also required. Experience working in the media industry is preferred.
As an experienced UX designer, you will report to the Deputy Head of UX and the Head of UX&D, and play a pivotal role in shaping the future of The Times digital products. The department is responsible for developing engaging, elegant and efficient digital experiences across the product suite.
You will help deliver the UX & UI strategy throughout the entire product life-cycle. Working closely with Product Managers you will shape product experiences to meet the customer and business needs, developing new innovative concepts, and crafting compelling and consistent digital experiences.
- Build a deep knowledge of all TNL (Times Newspapers Limited) digital products
- Develop the understanding of our customers across the business - current and potential users, their demographic and behavioural segmentation, target audiences and user personas
- Apply user-centered design approaches to address complex design problems and provide sound design solutions
- Work with the Product Managers and Designers to define and deliver UX solutions for The Times products, aligning them to the brand strategy and proposition.
- Ensure that product designs balance customer needs with business goals and the brand vision
- Champion usability and accessibility standards
- Stay abreast of innovations in UX best practices, tools and topics of interest to the UX community and help infuse them back into the wider team.
Development & Delivery:
- Help ensure that the practice of user research, analytics and testing are built into the product design and development life-cycle
- Work with product managers and delivery teams to ensure a unified customer experience
- Effectively communicate product ideas and concepts
- Ideate and create deliverables such as user work-flows, information architecture, wireframes and interactive prototypes
- Work with the team to build prototypes where necessary to visualise products and features, for user research, stakeholder communications and for development teams.
- Utilise qualitative and quantitative data, from user testing, web analytics, pilots, beta programs, customer support, MVT testing, focus groups etc, to deliver actionable insights and recommendations.
- Write/create relevant documentation if necessary, which may include personas, wireframes, flowcharts and usability test results as a way of supporting recommendations.
- Work collaboratively in a growing team of UX & UI Designers
- Be receptive and open to other opinions
- Integrate UX into agile development processes, leveraging lean UX principles
- Participate and occasionally run kick-offs, workshops and regular knowledge sharing sessions
- Work with research teams to lead and execute usability studies, testing and competitive reviews
- UX leadership of 3rd party suppliers where necessary
- Ensure standards for UX best practice and tools are used across the TNL digital portfolio
Skills & Experience:
- A track record of leading the successful delivery of user centric solutions in an agile environment.
- Proven experience working with senior level stakeholders in editorial, marketing, design, product and technology
- Creative and conceptual thinker able to develop innovative solutions to problems
- Strong UX experience working across web, web apps and mobile.
- Experience working in an iterative, agile environment, and attending daily scrum meetings
- Be comfortable with a range of activities from conceiving ideas to crafting documentation (scenarios, wireframes, flows)
- Experienced as a line manager or mentor of less experienced members of UX teams
- Experience in conducting in-person user studies, guerilla research, A/B testing, quantitative tests and other research methods
- Wireframing; Sketch, Adobe CC
- Prototyping; Invision, Axurre, Flinto, Marvel
- Flows; Omnigraffle
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.