Designer - The Times & Sunday Times
Can you work within our design team, concepting and delivering quality solutions for our products throughout their life-cycle?
The Times and the Sunday Times are looking for a talented Designer to join the team responsible for the digital output and user experience of our digital products. This position will work closely with the Deputy Head of UX and the Head of UX&D as well as the team of designers and the wider product team.
Candidates need to have experience concepting high-quality design solutions, including responsive websites and native apps. A strong understanding of UI design, processes and a portfolio to demonstrate this is also required. Experience working in the media industry is preferred.
As an experienced designer, you will report to the Deputy Head of UX and the Head of UX&D, and play a pivotal role in shaping the future of The Times digital products. The department is responsible for developing engaging, elegant and efficient digital experiences across the product suite.
You will help deliver the UI strategy throughout the entire product life-cycle. Working closely with Product Managers you will shape product experiences to meet the customer and business needs, developing new innovative concepts, and crafting compelling and consistent digital experiences.
You’ll have a passion for design & tech. You’ll be hands-on and willing to work in a fast paced, ever-moving environment and you’ll keep up-to-date with the latest trends and and aware of new practices in the field.
- Build a deep knowledge of all TNL (Times Newspapers Ltd) digital products
- Develop the understanding of our visual brand language
- Apply user-centered design approaches to address complex design problems and provide sound design solutions
- Work with the Product Managers and UX Designers to define and deliver solutions for products, aligning them to the brand strategy and proposition.
- Ensure that product designs balance customer needs with business goals and the brand vision
- Champion modular design, usability and accessibility standards
- Stay abreast of innovations in UI best practices, tools and topics of interest to the UI community and help infuse them back into the team.
Development & Delivery:
- Ensure that the designs are strategically aligned with the practice of user research, analytics and testing, which are built into the product design and development life-cycle
- Work with product managers and delivery teams to ensure a unified design language
- Effectively communicate product ideas and concepts
- Ideate and create deliverables such as hand-off files, assets and interactive prototypes
- Work with the team to build prototypes where necessary to visualise products and features, for user research, stakeholder communications and for development teams.
- Utilise qualitative and quantitative data, from user testing, web analytics, pilots, beta programs, customer support, MVT testing, focus groups etc, to inform your designs and recommendations.
- Write/create relevant documentation if necessary as a way of supporting recommendations.
- Work collaboratively in a growing team of UX & UI Designers
- Be receptive and willing to learn from Senior Design team members with the goal of advancing up the career path.
- Integrate designs into agile development processes, leveraging lean design principles (Atomic Design methods and pattern library integration)
- Participate in kick-offs, workshops and regular knowledge sharing sessions
- Work with research teams to lead and execute usability studies, testing and competitive reviews
- Assisting 3rd party suppliers in design solutions where necessary
Skills & Experience:
- An understanding of delivering user centric solutions in an agile environment.
- Some experience working with senior level stakeholders
- Creative and conceptual thinker able to develop innovative solutions to problems
- UI experience working across web, web apps and mobile.
- Understanding for working in an iterative, agile environment, and attending daily scrum meetings
- Be comfortable with a range of activities from conceiving ideas to crafting documentation (presentations and hand-off)
- Experience in aiding the conducting of in-person user studies, guerilla research, A/B testing, quantitative tests and other research methods
- Designing; Sketch, Adobe CC
- Prototyping; Invision, Axurre, Flinto, Marvel
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.