Job Title: Legal Counsel, Commercial Legal Affairs
Line Manager: Senior Commercial Legal Counsel, Commercial Legal Affairs
Direct Reports: None
Purpose of Role:
To provide commercial legal services across all parts of the News UK business as part of the Commercial Legal Team. The role will focus on supporting the work deriving from the Commercial team at News UK and so shall have a particular focus on adtech agreements, advertising sales agreements, ad clearance work, events agreements, sponsorship agreements, joint venture agreements and other general commercial agreements. Flexibility shall be required as the Legal Counsel may also be required to support other areas of the business such as Operations and Technology.
- Provide high quality commercial legal advice across all News UK’s business areas to ensure the best commercial terms are negotiated and contracts are appropriately documented
- Work with the Senior Commercial Legal Counsel to provide effective management (i.e. drafting, negotiation and interpretation) of all contracts across the range of the News UK’s activities within the Commercial Team, e.g. advertising sales agreements, adtech agreements, data agreements, events and sponsorship agreements, website terms and conditions, software procurement and licensing, joint ventures and strategic alliances. Further additional support for other areas of the business may also be required from time to time (for example supporting the Operations and Technology teams, which may include technology agreements, services agreements, printing and distribution agreements etc).
- Develop and understand risk mitigation strategies for contractual risks.
- Develop internal templates, guidelines and toolkits of a wide variety of business and legal issues and provide training to the business from a compliance perspective.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the Commercial Legal Affairs Team processes and management of legal and compliance risks.
- Exercise sound professional judgement in identifying issues that require escalation to the Senior Commercial Legal Counsel.
- Participate in the development and achievement of the team’s service levels across the business.
- Assist the Senior Commercial Legal Counsel to manage external counsel, where necessary, ensuring appropriate service levels and costs management.
- Manager support aspects of the legal function such as the Contract Management System.
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Senior Legal Commercial Counsel.
- Qualified solicitor with appropriate post qualification experience (2 - 4 years minimum); able to practice in England and Wales
- Demonstrable high quality in-house or private practice experience gained.
- Good knowledge of the law in areas of advertising with a particular emphasis on advertising technology contracts and ad clearance; data protection, software and IT development agreements, online applications and e-commerce would be an advantage.
- Very good knowledge of all key aspects of contract and commercial law.
- Ability to communicate legal advice clearly and concisely in a commercial environment.
- Demonstrable strong skills in contract drafting and negotiating of commercial agreements.
- Demonstrable ability to provide effective commercial solutions to clients and colleagues and to act as a commercial and legal advisor within a business team.
- Ability to analyse complex legal issues; develop strategies and argue points constructively and succinctly.
- Ability to instil trust and confidence among business colleagues and clients.
- Experience of developing and managing relationships with business people and outside counsel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Is able to work well unsupervised, demonstrating initiative and the ability to be proactive, while also being able to follow instructions and provide support to the Senior Commercial Legal Counsel.
- Ability to interact positively at all levels within the company and work effectively within both a business team and as part of a legal department.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent client/customer facing skills and a commitment to the provision of high quality legal services.
- Likes to engage and challenge the norm; ability to effectively influence colleagues and others to achieve a successful outcome.
- Ability to present and pitch ideas effectively to colleagues and able to convey difficult or complex idea or concepts in a clear and engaging manner.
- Dynamic and able to work in a fast paced and demanding environment.
- Excellent problem diagnosis and analytical skills; with an ability to resolve disputes or log jams effectively.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in an organisational setting.
- Can clearly explain and present problems and issues to others and contribute to their resolution.
- Ability to make decisions and remain calm while under pressure – particularly when dealing with difficult situations or individuals.
- Methodical approach to work, with a strong focus on accuracy and quality.
- Has a 'can do' approach and works to exceed expectations.
- Ability to work to tight project deadlines and can adapt to differing demands; prioritises tasks, where appropriate.
- Can demonstrate confidence and resilience to overcome obstacles to deliver what is required.
- Can carry out all responsibilities in a way which supports the company’s values and promotes high ethical standards and its equal opportunities and diversity principles.
- Can assist to effectively manage risk to the business where those risks relate to this role.
- Able to be an ambassador for News UK and the Legal Department, being professional in outlook, attitude and appearance.
Please provide a covering letter explaining why you want to apply for this position and why you think you are suitable for this position
News UK is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.