Head of Advertising Sales (Regional)
What is the goal of this role?
To lead, motivate and inspire the News UK Glasgow based sales team. Responsible for hitting revenue and profitability targets, whilst generating and delivering strategies to grow and develop new revenue streams. A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and proven relationship builder.
What are my accountabilities?
- Drive pro-active selling with existing and new initiatives.
- Responsible for achieving revenue targets across Agency & Direct, all brands and across all disciplines.
- Consistently focusing on the needs of the market and the business while remaining brand neutral.
- Day-to-day management of sales team within defined medium / title.
- “Closing the book” for relevant titles/medium on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.
- Responsible for achieving all sales targets across Agency & Direct, across all brands by maximising existing sales revenue, cross selling opportunities, and exploring and developing new initiatives from all sales areas – newspapers, magazines, online, iPad and mobile where applicable.
- Work with the Regional Sales Director to create team budgets, forecasts, and KPIS.
- Identify new revenue opportunities and develop a strategy for growth.
- Lead a team to deliver the business KPI’s of revenue, pagination, share and yield in an increasingly multi-platform market.
- Understand how the Creative revenue can influence team budget achievement through managing potential, conversion and campaign delivery, as well as maximising the use of commercial features, supplements, advertorials, sponsorship and promotional revenues.
- Client facing at a senior level with both agency and direct clients.
- Negotiate sales contracts to agree price and share parameters, change reward parameters & make legally binding.
- Work with the deputy head of sales to ensure that agencies and direct clients are delivering against pre-negotiated deals.
- Embrace automation as a way of further increasing selling time and for revenue protection and profit growth.
- Monitor/interpret performance of medium or title (volume, share, yield – interpret sales support data) across the various agencies and look to direct activity to maximise share and yield.
- Use external networks to identify sources of additional client revenue (up-sell/cross-sell/creative solutions/digital).
- Work closely with the other Heads of Sales Advertising to best represent News UK to agencies and clients to maximize revenue opportunities.
- Communicate any relevant trading issues and observations to the Regional Sales Director.
- Manage costs appropriately within the context of sales performance.
- Able to create collaboration across News UK Commercial, Marketing and Editorial to deliver propositions that are compelling
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders both internal and external.
- Responsibility to identify and drive revenue across all channels.
- Inspire and motivate the sales team to deliver revenue targets
- Work closely with senior stakeholders across the business to understand the wider context and develop market leading strategies.
- Lead and develop direct reports so they deliver against KPIs.
- Lead overall learning and development of the sales team, ensuring staff retention and development of talent.
- Coach and develop the talent to create a clear succession plan.
- Build and maintain a passionate, brave sales culture.
- Create opportunities for individual development and learning.
- Taking on other activities as requested by the Regional Sales Director, Glasgow GM or any other Commercial directors.
Who are my contacts?
- All News UK Commercial team members – Dublin, Glasgow and London
- News UK Commercial Directors
- Senior agency and client partners
- Relevant editorial and marketing teams
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.