Job Title: Assistant Group Manufacturing Services Manager (AGMSM) Newsprinters
Reports to: Group Manufacturing Services Manager (GMSM)
Department: Group Manufacturing Services (GMS)
Overview of Role:
This role supports a portfolio of £36m spend, 400 active vendors and 14,000 SAP Materials across the 3 Newsprinters print sites, namely Broxbourne (London), Knowsley (Liverpool ) and Eurocentral (Glasgow).
The role has 3 direct reports including Business Partners.
The Assistant Group Manufacturing Services Manager (AGMSM) assists with the management and co-ordination of all GMSD activities across the Group with a particular responsibility to manage the day-to-day activities in Knowsley and Eurocentral, geographical area North.
The AGMSM assists with any Group procurement activities, including however not limited to, negotiating, benchmarking, vendor, supply chain management and vendor performance reviews.
In addition, the AGMSM assists with delivering specific GMSD targets and objectives as agreed with the key GMSD Stakeholders. This may include providing assistance with ad hoc projects required by the key Stakeholder or projects to suit the changing demands of the Business.
The AGMSM manages staff and processes on a day-to-day basis to control all aspects of inventory management, including ordering (stock replenishment), goods receipting, storing and issuing of Inventory parts (spares or consumables). This also includes the management of the-end-to end repairs processes as well as the facilitation of all production vendor related trials for the Northern sites.
The AGMSM assists with the other MSD departmental activities including financial audits and any related SOX compliance activities, lean manufacturing initiatives, business continuous improvement and cost saving initiatives.
The role mentors and provides Lead Group roles for ISO9001, 14001 and BSOHSAS 18001.
The AGMSM provides a contingency for the Finance Analyst role.
- Ensure right part / consumable / service of the correct quality available at the correct location at the right time.
- Ownership of all goods/services procurement from enquiry through to fulfilment. This includes assisting the key stakeholders in producing suitable Product/Service specification as well as supporting the creation of suitable SLA and KPIs for any new supply agreement.
- Negotiate using a detailed facts based approach.
- Assist with cost saving initiatives delivering financial targets for Newsprinters.
- Ensure all internal SLAs, targets and objectives agreed with key stakeholders are met or exceeded. The AGMSM is expected to provide an end-to-end procurement service that is both professional and effective.
- Assist with any tendering processes achieving best value for money while fulfilling the business needs and delivering a suitable contractual framework.
- Act SOX 404: Sarbanes-Oxley – Help maintain the Company’s status that has been rated as “effective” since 2010. This includes assisting the GMSM in reviewing and monitoring the user access controls in relation to the SAP accounting system (GRC - Governance, Risk Management and Controls).
- Liaise as and when required with the Legal team to help produce appropriate contractual framework (usually a combination of a service level agreement and terms and conditions) for any new supply agreement.
- Lead cross functional/business unit teams to deliver procurement project.
- Lead and deliver a pro-active vendor management programme that also covers the supply chain.
- Manage sub-contract work and measure Supplier’s performance reporting any shortfalls to GMSM
SAP and Inventory control (40%)
- Accurately manage the Newsprinters stock and inventory levels (including Supply Chain) on the Northern sites to ensure business needs and budgets are met.
- Ensure all stock is counted twice a year on the Northern sites ensuring accuracy of the data recorded for budgetary and statistical purposes.
- Assist and lead for the Northern sites the end-of-year stock audit and reconciliation.
- Manage and reconcile consignment stock at the Northern sites at least yearly.
- Ensure all obsolescence and rejects are reconciled monthly.
- Responsible for the management of compliance and /or verification all inventory and consumables and any associated reporting.
- Assist in maintaining Bill of Materials for all Newsprinters equipment and assists with any initiatives related to reverse engineering, group stock consolidation, etc.
- Responsible for the control and management of SAP MSD data, reports and any other relevant information such as financial budgets and production trials reports.
- Help produce GMSD reports (incl. consumption analysis, closing stock, monthly Northern GMSD report, etc.) and any additional reports as per the key Stakeholders requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring the stores processes and procedures are aligned to any planned maintenance schedules when required by engineering management, and recorded on the, SAP MM and PM system.
- Lead stock control for all stock and non-stock items from delivery through to production usage report value monthly.
- Provide the required internal customer service as identified by the Engineering and Manufacturing departments.
- Plan to optimum, not to maximum or minimum.
Integrated Management System (ISO 9001, 14001 and OSHAS18001) and Lean Manufacturing (20%)
- Assist GMSM to maintain GMSD quality process and associated documentation (incl. TIGs and process flows) up to date and compliant with any Company’s Continuous Improvement (CI) guidelines.
- Participates in Company’s programme for continuous improvement to identify, analyse and solve work related problems. Support training in quality control concepts and measuring techniques.
- Manage (end-to-end process) all Non-Conformances arising from any supply chain or vendor issues.
- Identify potential recycling opportunities and cost savings with environmental impacts in line with GMS departmental goals.
- Support on-going environmental initiatives to ensure continual improvement and assist with waste segregation initiatives.
- Assist GMSM in complying with Management of H&S at work regulations 1999 and amendments 2003 in addition to H&S at work at 1974 for the GMS department.
- Assist GMSM in keeping Aspects & Impacts register up to date for the GMS department.
- Assist GMSM in maintaining and validating the GMSD Risk Assessment (RA) register and actively support solutions to down grade risk wherever possible. This may involve an element of External Contractor’s management while on site from a health and safety point of view.
- Provide a lead role in the maintenance and development of Health & Safety activities, ensuring that the GMS area and Team standards meet the Company and other legal and ethical requirements. This covers, among others, any lifting equipment used by the department, COSHH compliance, PPE issuing and stock replenishment.
- Provide support with Lean problem solving techniques and help produce six-sigma projects as and when required.
- Manage and Lead Facilities (Hard services) 5S programme.
- Assist with Company, Northern sites and departmental Business Continuity Plans (BCPs).
Key Skills & Experience:
- Strong experience in all aspects of Procurement in a manufacturing environment;
- Extensive experience in Stores and Inventory management in a manufacturing environment;
- Strong and proven negotiation skills;
- Strong vendor management experience;
- Experience of governance and compliance;
- Team management experience;
- Some legal procurement & contractual knowledge;
- Good ability to present information clearly;
- Solid experience in ISO 9001, 14001 & OHSAS18001;
- Good understanding of World Class continuous improvement techniques and how these can be used within a Manufacturing Services environment;
- Experience in Lean Manufacturing & Six-Sigma useful;
- Demonstrable experience of problem solving and decision making;
- Some experience in managing COSHH, Loler & Puwer, Manual Handling compliance, Fire safety awareness , Risk Assessments;
- The ability to work effectively under pressure;
- Experience in the print industry an advantage.
- Customer focused;
- Confident communicator;
- Strong ability to work independently (a self-starter and self-motivator) and within a Team;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- A very dependable individual that delivers;
- Good attention to details with a very analytical mind;
- Good leadership skills;
- Fully proficient in SAP Materials Management, SAP Plant Maintenance and SAP Business Warehouse;
- Advanced PC Skills, including Microsoft Office, SharePoint and Visio;
- Kardex system knowledge and understanding an advantage;
- Forklift Driver valid license (useful).
Key Relationships (Internal & External)
GMSD all personnel – Daily
Newsprinters Engineering and Manufacturing Teams (Key Stakeholders) at all levels – Daily
Admin Team – Daily
Group Newsprinters Finance Team - Weekly
SAP Technology Team - As required
Group Audit – As required
Group GRC Team – As required
Human Resources – Weekly
Business Partners – Daily
Vendors – Daily
IMS Auditors (internal & external) – Quarterly
Kardex – Quarterly
Ernst & Yong Associates & Auditors – ½ Yearly
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.