Job Title: Head of Finance – Business Development
Line Manager: Finance Director – News UK Publishing
Direct Reports: None
To provide financial and commercial leadership on new revenue and cost projects across all of the News UK Publishing business.
A business facing role, partnering closely with a wide range of stakeholders, up to Managing Director level, to ensure investment decisions are properly analysed, challenged and monitored.
Strategy and leadership
- Partner with Managing Director and Managing Editor in order to set and deliver business objectives in line with the strategy
- Build and develop appropriate relationships to ensure finance has a voice in the department
- Confidently and credibly challenge and influence senior stakeholders (up to Managing Director level) on their plans
- Work closely with procurement to support supplier negotiations
Planning & Forecasting
- Ensure new project spend and revenues are reflected in budgets and quarterly forecasts, with relevant supporting documents and underlying assumptions
- As projects develop, identify risks and opportunities through the rolling forecast process and take steps to ensure a desired outcome is achieved
- Perform regular ‘deep dive’ analysis, to support assumptions and identify new areas to invest in
- Ensure business cases are robustly challenged, financially sound and a post-investment review is carried out
- Introduce appropriate financial metrics to assess financial viability and rank investment cases
- Ad hoc work as required to serve business needs, or wider finance team deliverables
- Work closely with wider finance team to gather knowledge, inform and avoid duplication
- Proactive and comfortable working autonomously
- Resilient and delivery focused
- Strong investment appraisal experience, including presenting to executive level
- Must be able to quickly establish effective working relationships with finance and non-finance colleagues
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.