Job Title: Head of Finance – Times Newspapers Ltd (TNL)
Line Manager: Finance Director – News UK Publishing
Direct Reports: 1 Finance Manager, 2 Finance Analysts
To provide financial and commercial leadership across all of The Times and Sunday Times.
To partner closely with the Managing Director, TNL, and their senior leadership team, to set and deliver stretching revenue and cost targets across editorial, paid sales (print and digital), marketing and brand businesses.
Strategy and leadership
- Partner with Managing Director and Managing Editor in order to set and deliver business objectives in line with the strategy
- Build and develop appropriate relationships to ensure finance has a voice in the department
- Confidently and credibly challenge and influence senior stakeholders (up to Managing Director level) on their plans
- Work closely with procurement to support supplier negotiations
- Collaborate effectively with other finance departments in order to produce a full TNL P&L
Planning & Forecasting
- Lead Editorial, Marketing and Finance teams in the budget and forecast process, from underlying assumptions and KPIs, to financial analysis, to producing the exec presentations
- Understand and challenge the underlying planning assumptions
- Identify risks and opportunities through the rolling forecast process and take steps to ensure a desired outcome is achieved
- Proactively offer insight and analysis in order to mitigate risks and exploit opportunities
- Perform regular ‘deep dive’ analysis, to explain variances and identify areas for improvement
- Ensure appropriate KPIs are designed, monitored and communicated to all relevant stakeholders
- Ensure business cases are robustly challenged, financially sound and a post-investment review is carried out
- Responsible and accountable for weekly and monthly management accounts, including balance sheet.
- Responsible for producing the Subscriptions pack, marketing effectiveness reporting and Editorial KPIs to continuously monitor underlying performance.
- Develop a high performing team, with clear objectives
- Work closely with News UK Publishing colleagues to improve processes and share best practice.
- Work closely with Group finance to ensure all deadlines are met, and both teams are aligned on financial expectations
- Proven experience leading a finance team
- Expert communicator/influencer
- Must be able to quickly establish effective working relationships with finance and non-finance colleagues
- Resilient and delivery focused
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.