What’s the job? Customer Engagement Executive
Where do I work? News UK – Sales and Marketing, 1 London Bridge Street, SE1 9GF
Who do I report to? Senior Manager Retention & Engagement
Why are we here? To attract & grow passionate, loyal and valuable customers to our brands.
Sales and Marketing Department
The Times Newspaper Ltd Marketing & Sales department is made up of 4 teams; Brand Strategy & Planning, Retention, Engagement & Operations, Content Sales and Propositions & Market Development, working together to deliver the Sales & Marketing vision. Our strategic objectives:
- Be distinct and differentiated
- Know our customers better
- Do more with customer relationships
- Fuel passions for our brands among customers and staff
- Grow the volume of repeat, known customers
- Grow average revenue per user
- Maximise the life time value of our customers
- Own the customer experience from beginning to end
What’s my personal contribution?
To manage the delivery of habit driving engagement programs, customer campaigns and direct marketing executions so that mutually valuable relationships with direct consumers are built and sustained.
To deliver outstanding performance in customer engagement and retention that ultimately delivers increased customer lifetime value and profitability to NC.
What are my Responsibilities & Accountabilities
My core responsibilities are to deliver industry leading customer engagement and lifetime customer value, which ultimately deliver exceptional experiences for happy customers.
- Manage delivery of engagement and retention campaigns for existing subscribers. Allocate budget and effort based on strategic priorities and value to the business.
- Ensure that Omni-channel, integrated campaigns (print and digital) are produced, prioritised and implemented effectively, working collaboratively with all teams within Sales and Marketing—including Campaign Execution and creative agencies-- across the wider business so that customer engagement is optimised in quality and value terms.
- Deliver targeted improvements in customer engagement and retention. Manage the reporting of KPI and other indices as per set criteria, on a daily, weekly, monthly basis.
- Deliver targeted revenue, behavioural, and ARPU growth objectives. Oversee the reporting of revenue against budget and forecast, on a daily, weekly, monthly basis working with the Audience and Analytics teams.
- Work with Senior Engagement and Retention manager to develop and embed a customer lifecycle management approach to sustain habitual consumer behaviour and ultimately drive incremental value to the business.
- Build customer management and reporting capabilities around the lifecycle that enable execution, assessment and optimisation of any campaign activity.
- Manage individual campaign and program budgets including all elements of the annual CRM budget.
- Drive an on-going culture of improvement and innovation, creating and developing processes which will drive efficiency and effectiveness whilst continuing to ensure that customers are delighted
- Focusing on continually innovating the mechanisms to which we communicate with our base.
- Manage activation and churn management for subscription customers. Underpinning the businesses strategic priorities through end-to-end project ownership & governance.
- Champion the voice of our customer, through operationally led insight & aligning with our editorial differentiators.
What do I Know Useful knowledge, skills and experience
- Experience in managing through the line CRM programmes or direct response campaigns, ideally in a subscription environment
- Experience in managing media agencies for owned and paid channels
- Thorough understanding of the media industry or behavioural psychology
- Proven experience of managing complex stakeholders in high pressure environments
- Thorough understanding of tools and techniques used in integrated marketing communications, direct response, digital marketing (email, DM, display, social especially) and analysis programmes.
- Thorough understanding of best practice in engagement and retention management, testing and rollout strategies.
- Ability to communicate technical or data led information to commercial teams in an engaging and informative manner.
- Ability to translate customer lifecycle events into creative execution produced by internal and external agencies
- Ability to communicate effectively, written and verbally
- Thorough understanding of a multi-channel engagement approach
- Proven experience of managing complex stakeholder environments and revenue models.
- Thorough understanding of tools and techniques used in integrated marketing communications, direct response, online and analysis programmes.
- Evidenced ability working with technical and creative teams essential given breadth of role.
- Ability to implement a customer lifecycle vision with quantifiable improvements linked to business objectives.
- Experience in online marketing advantageous.
- Experience working with a call centre operation advantageous
- You’ll relish a challenge; demonstrate resilient, adaptable to change, and enjoy a fast paced environment,
- Fearless to question what’s gone before, whilst having a passion for doing things differently.
- A tenacious attitude, which is able to adapt and influence virtual teams
- Professional, respectful and a rationale challenger
As a department, we have 5 values that guide our day-to-day work. We call them the 5 C’s
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.