What’s the job? - Deputy TV and Features Editor (Maternity Cover)
Where Do I Work? - The Sun, News International – TV Magazine & TV Soap
Why are we here? - To ensure TV Magazine has brilliant exclusive interviews, the best access to talent and the low down on all the top TV shows so we outshine all other TV magazines and supplements.
How do we contribute? - By working closely with the Editors, Forward Planning Editor, writers and other departments to ensure we have the best features and previews every week.
What’s my personal contribution? -
- Write impeccable and colourful copy.
- Commission and edit features and previews
- Set up interviews with talent by liaising with PRs.
- Create clever feature ideas.
- Help to manage features team and content.
What are my accountabilities?
- Making the most of our brilliant access to TV talent and seeking out exclusives to ensure we rise above the competition week in week out.
- Helping to manage a features team of permanent and casual staff.
- Commissioning and editing features and previews from permanent staff and freelance writers.
- Coming up with innovative, creative ideas and concepts for interviews and features on a weekly basis.
- Keeping abreast of current affairs and trends through reading various titles as well as utilising other media platforms on a daily basis.
- Working across different platforms within the brand and having an awareness of the use of social media.
- Working closely and in collaboration with other teams on the magazine, and departments within the company.
- Making and maintaining great contacts with PRs and freelance writers.
- Bringing in new writers and talent.
- Managing a budget.
- Willingness to work flexible hours whenever required to meet the demands of weekly deadlines. Attending launches, screenings and interviews out of normal working hours.
- Recognising and acting upon any potential legal issues and acting in accordance with the PCC Code of Conduct.
- Brilliant writer who always gets the tone right.
- Outstanding copy editor with a great eye for detail and strong knowledge of house style.
- Experience managing a team.
- Outstanding contacts with PRs and agents.
- An expert knowledge of TV shows, celebrities and soap.
- Several years’ of relevant experience on a magazine or newspaper
- Willingness to go the extra mile and ability to turn hand to interviews, real-life features, copy-editing and preview writing.
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.