What’s the job? Head of Print Sales and Subscriptions
Sales and Marketing Department
The Times Newspaper Ltd Marketing & Sales department is made up of 4 teams; Brand Strategy & Planning, Retention, Engagement & Operations, Content Sales and Propositions & Market Development, working together to deliver the Sales & Marketing vision. Our strategic objectives:
What’s my personal contribution?
Develop strategy and execute activity to drive profitable growth of TNL print subscriptions and print sales across UK, ROI, and International markets. Work with the wider Marketing and Sales team, and other News UK teams such as Retail, and Editorial that will support growth of print volumes and revenue.
What are my Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Responsible for 75% of TNL Total Paid Sale revenue and ARPU growth
- Responsible for driving print subscriber acquisition and casual print sale of all TNL titles: The Times, The Sunday Times, TLS, and The Sunday Times Travel Magazine
- Work with the wider Marketing & Sales team, Editorial, Technology, Product, Audience Insight and Finance to design and deliver products, pricing and propositions for prospective audiences across the UK, Ireland and ROW.
- Work with the Propositions & Market Development team on subscription pricing and propositions for prospective audiences across the UK, Ireland and ROW.
- Work with the Retention and Operations team as well as the Proposition and Market Development team to understand the quality and engagement of newly acquired subscribers
- Work with the Digital Sales team to drive online conversion for prospects looking to buy a print subscription, optimising journeys and building new journeys where needed
- Manage a team that is responsible for all creative that drives subscription and casual sales; working with creative agencies across all marketing channels including traditional media such as radio and ‘owned’ media such as in paper ads; and digital media working closely with the Audience team and Digital team using digital channels to drive print revenue (subscriptions and casual sale) – whilst always ensuring creative is on brand by working with the Brand Team
- Work with the Retail team to optimise print retail channels, including developing a Key retailer programme, optimising in-store presence, reviewing and optimising bulk volumes to reduce free and lesser rate sale volumes and upselling to full paid sale.
- Develop and launch a ‘Subscriptions through Retail’ channel plan working with the Retail team
- Develop and optimise the Direct to Consumer programme
- Work with News UK teams on key editorial product launches to maximise subscription sales and casual print sale opportunities eg. Style launch, ST refresh pt2
- Work with the wider Marketing and Sale team and Editorial teams on key owned franchises to maximise subscription and casual sale eg Rich List, Best Places etc
- Work with the Partnerships team to create and execute a rolling promotional calendar with appropriate partners to drive subscriptions sales and casual sale.
- Work with the Digital Subscriptions Team to collaborate on a promotional marketing plan to drive overall subscriber volumes, including joint promotions, incentives, and propositions.
- Work with the Digital Subscriptions team to optimise online conversion of print subscriptions across all digital sales channels for all TNL titles. This will involve working with technology partners (internal and external)
- Work with partners on sponsored copy opportunities eg at events such as Cheltenham, Political conferences etc
- Collaborate with and develop close working relationships with the various editorial teams for all titles – to create long term content marketing plans to drive subscriptions and casual sale.
- Work with the Audience Insight team and Proposition and Market Development team to clearly identify existing and prospect target audiences across all markets. Work with them to develop clear customer subscription propositions based on data and insight to inform pricing, propositions, products and offers to drive profitable sales and retention.
- Work with the Propositions Manager to ensure alignment of long and short term priorities within product & propositions and delivery with the TNL Product and CMP teams. This includes attendance at the weekly PLG and CMP meetings.
- Establish strong relationships with key stakeholders in priority business units including Finance, Audience Insight, Product and Technology. Identify key individuals to influence and attend regular meetings and showcases. Establish transparent relationships that regularly demonstrate the business benefits and include key deliverables in investment cases & product roadmaps to prove ROI.
- Build, develop and nurture a team of managers and execs that will be in multiple locations: London, Glasgow, and Dublin.
- Working with Finance and Propositions and Market Development team to develop strategies that drive growth – understanding which segments of customers deliver the most value to the business in order to inform marketing and sales strategies to attract high value, desirable customers.
- Work with Retail to develop a retailer programme with the likes of McColls, Tesco, Sainsburys etc
What do I Know
Useful knowledge, skills and experience
- Bring a ‘sales performance’ mentality to the team, directing, guiding, building and motivating a team of sales managers and execs
- Thorough understanding of how to build and manage teams, which are, based on performance and execution standards.
- Passion for understanding consumer behaviour and developing marketing strategies to engage, attract and convert new prospects.
- Proven experience of developing revenue driving strategies
- Proven experience of developing and executing high quality creative across traditional and digital channels.
- Ideally have knowledge of the newspaper sector and ideally within a subscriptions business. Retail channel management is also an advantage.
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.