What’s the job? International Digital Subscriptions Manager (FTC)
Where do I work? News UK – The Times Newspaper Ltd Marketing & Sales team News Building, London Bridge
Who do I report into? Head of Digital Subscription Sales and Marketing
Why are we here? To attract passionate, loyal and valuable customers to our brands.
Sales and Marketing Department
The Times Newspaper Ltd Marketing & Sales department is made up of 4 teams; Brand Strategy & Planning, Retention, Engagement & Operations, Content Sales and Propositions & Market Development, working together to deliver the Sales & Marketing vision. Our strategic objectives:
- Be distinct and differentiated
- Know our customers better
- Do more with customer relationships
- Fuel passions for our brands among customers and staff
- Grow the volume of repeat, known customers
- Grow average revenue per user
- Maximise the life time value of our customers
- Own the customer experience from beginning to end
What’s my personal contribution?
Develop strategy and execute activity to drive growth of digital subscribers in International markets for The Times and The Sunday Times
What are my Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Responsible for driving international digital subscriber acquisition for The Times and The Sunday Times
- International market responsibility with day to day trading accountability to attract and convert new prospects in international markets
- Work with the wider Marketing & Sales team, audience team, market development team, insights team, and internal creative team (Pulse) to identify and create strategies for new markets
- Creative strategy and execution to drive conversion – managing the end to end creative and media process to optimise acquisition costs, using all available marketing and conversion channels
- Work with the Retention and Operations team to understand the quality and engagement of newly acquired subscribers and use this insight to inform future activity.
- With the Content Sales Director and Head of Digital Subscriptions, develop and deliver a strategy and plan to grow international digital subscriptions through primarily digital marketing channels, although more traditional marketing channels will form part of the strategy (eg direct mail and other offline media)
- Manage and work with an exec to deliver plans; working with creative agencies internally and sometime externally.
- Work closely with Propositions and Market Development team, and Revenue Manager on all activity
- Identify and develop new markets and opportunities to drive international digital subscriptions.
- Work with the wider Digital team to optimise online conversion for international digital subscriptions, developing new and tailored digital journeys for target markets.
- Collaborate with and develop close working relationships with the various editorial teams to get their support to drive digital sales – for example creating bespoke content for new markets (content hubs)
- Own and manage a marketing budget, with continuous optimisation of acquisition costs
- Establish strong relationships with key stakeholders in priority business units including Finance, Audience Insight, Product and Technology. Identify key individuals to influence and attend regular meetings.
- Working with Finance to develop strategies that drive international digital growth – understanding which segments of customers deliver the most value to the business in order to inform marketing and sales strategies to attract the right type of customer for sustained growth.
- Manage and build the capability and capacity of individuals within your team through insight, constructive feedback and challenge to enable team effectiveness, ensure consistency with News UK / Marketing values and behaviours, and to drive business performance.
- Provide support and essential cover for the UK Digital Subscription Manager, covering holiday and sick leave
What do I Know
Useful knowledge, skills and experience
- Be a ‘digital native’ – thorough and proven experience of using digital media to drive digital sales
- Experience of international marketing – developing marketing and communications strategies bespoke local territories
- Passion for understanding consumer behaviour and developing marketing strategies to engage, attract and convert new prospects.
- Thorough understanding and proven experience of the end to end creative and media process
- Proven experience of developing revenue driving strategies
- Proven experience of developing and executing high quality creative across traditional and digital channels.
- Be able to plan and forecast marketing activity, business casing activity in collaboration with other teams
- Have experience of working in an innovative subscriptions market that use digital as the primary acquisition channel.
- Strong relationship building skills to develop and nurture stakeholder relationships across News UK, and externally.
- Strong and proven budget management skills
- Have excellent communication and presentation skills to develop a narrative to sell an idea and tell a compelling story to team members, peers, stakeholders, senior execs, and the board.
- Proven ability to work in the here and now in a fast paced marketing and trading environment, as well as keeping one eye on developing strategy and longer term plans.
What do I Show?
As a department, we have 5 values that guide our day to day work. We call them the 5 C’s
We want people that relish a challenge; are resilient, adaptable to change, enjoy a fast paced environment, and are not afraid to question what’s gone before whilst having a passion for doing things differently.
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.