Job Title - UK Exec, Print Subscriptions
Sales and Marketing Department
The Times Newspaper Ltd Marketing & Sales department is made up of 4 teams; Brand Strategy & Planning, Retention, Engagement & Operations, Content Sales and Propositions & Market Development, working together to deliver the Sales & Marketing vision. Our strategic objectives:
- Be distinct and differentiated
- Know our customers better
- Do more with customer relationships
- Fuel passions for our brands among customers and staff
- Grow the volume of repeat, known customers
- Grow average revenue per user
- Maximise the life time value of our customers
- Own the customer experience from beginning to end
What’s my personal contribution?
Execute activity to drive profitable growth of print subscriptions sales for The Times and The Sunday Times across the UK. Work with the wider Marketing and Sales team, and other News UK teams such as Retail, and Editorial that will support growth of print volumes and revenue.
What are my Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Support the UK Manager, Print Sales and Subscriptions in delivering UK print subscription targets
- Work with the wider Marketing and Sales teams on all activity that drives UK Print subscription sales
- Work with the Digital Sales team to drive online conversion for prospects looking to buy a print subscription, optimising journeys and building new journeys where needed
- Work with creative agencies across all marketing channels including traditional media such as radio and ‘owned’ media such as in paper ads; and digital media working closely with the Audience team and Digital team using digital channels to drive print revenue – whilst always ensuring creative is on brand by working with the Brand Team
- Work with Retail to introduce a ‘Subscriptions through Retail’ channel plan working with the Retail team
- Work with News UK teams on key editorial product launches to maximise subscription sales and casual print sale opportunities eg. Style launch, ST refresh pt2
- Work with the wider Marketing and Sale team and Editorial teams on key owned franchises to maximise subscription and casual sale eg Rich List, Best Places etc
- Create and execute a rolling promotional calendar with appropriate partners to drive subscriptions sales
- Work with the Digital Subscriptions Team to collaborate on a promotional marketing plan to drive overall subscriber volumes, including joint promotions, incentives, and propositions.
- Work with the Digital Subscriptions team to optimise online conversion of print subscriptions across all digital sales channels.
- Develop close working relationships with the various editorial teams– to create long term content marketing plans to drive print subscription sales
- Support on forecasting and planning for marketing activity that drives UK print subscriptions
- Support with reporting for all UK subscription and print sale performance – introduce new improved standardised reporting for daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports
- Work with the UK Manager for Print Sales and Subscriptions to manage the budget that drives UK print revenue
- Establish strong relationships with key stakeholders in priority business units including Finance, Audience Insight, Product and Technology. Establish transparent relationships that regularly demonstrate the business benefits and include key deliverables in investment cases & product roadmaps to prove ROI.
- Build, develop and nurture a team of execs that will be in multiple locations such as London and Glasgow.
- Collaborate with the managers and execs responsible for other markets (Scotland, ROI), sharing knowledge and results to help overall performance across all markets
- Involvement in cross team planning, strategy, wash-ups, outlooks etc
- Provide support and essential cover for other Execs in the Print Subscriptions and Sales team, covering holiday and sick leave
What do I Know
Useful knowledge, skills and experience
- Be performance focussed – managing plans and activity that contribute towards the goal of hitting targets
- Passion for understanding consumer behaviour and developing marketing strategies to engage, attract and convert new prospects.
- Proven experience of developing and executing high quality creative across traditional and digital channels.
- Ideally have knowledge of the newspaper sector and ideally within a subscriptions business.
- Good relationship building skills to develop and nurture stakeholder relationships across News UK, and externally.
- Good and proven creative process management skills
- Proven experience of managing creative agencies, getting the best out of them through quality briefing, relationship management, creative process management
- Proven experience of supplier and partner management – relationship management, financial management, etc.
- Have good communication and presentation skills to develop a narrative to sell an idea and tell a compelling story to team members, peers, stakeholders, senior execs, and the board.
- Proven ability to work in the here and now in a fast paced marketing and trading environment, as well as keeping one eye on developing strategy and longer term plans.
What do I Show?
As a department, we have 5 values that guide our day to day work. We call them the 5 C’s
We want people that relish a challenge; are resilient, adaptable to change, enjoy a fast paced environment, and are not afraid to question what’s gone before whilst having a passion for doing things differently.
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.