What’s the job? Deputy Picture Director
Where do I work? The Sun, News International – TV Magazine
Why are we here?
To ensure TV Magazine has the best pictures – both our own exclusive shoots, bought in from agencies and exclusive publicity shots – so we outshine all other TV magazines and supplements.
How do we contribute?
By working closely with the Art Director and Picture Director to ensure we are using the most talented people to work for us. Helping to create and produce original photography concepts and striking shoots. Ensuring all features and previews are illustrated with the most eye-catching, always-appropriate and relevant images.
What’s my personal contribution?
- Coming up with ideas for photo shoots.
- Commissioning photographers, stylists, hair and make-up and props people for photo shoots, identifying and booking locations and managing tears and references.
- Handling booking and fee negotiation, and subsequent payment admin and invoice processing.
- General picture research and agreeing fees for picture usage.
- Supporting the Picture Director.
- Not just sticking to the picture budget for the magazine but adapting where possible to reduce the budget and identifying savings.
- Bringing exclusive imagery to the magazine from TV picture publicists.
- Understanding your role in the business and contributing where necessary within the wider Sun brand and products.
What are my accountabilities?
- Buying in exclusive cover images and agreeing fees.
- Coming up with and producing innovative, creative ideas and concepts for photo shoots.
- Maintaining excellent relationships with photographers, stylists and hair/make-up people who already work for us - as well as bringing in new talent.
- Thinking strategically with regards to picture research and shoot concepts by understanding your contribution to all platforms.
- Working closely with all departments of the magazine and within the Sun brand, already having or willing to acquire digital knowledge.
- Building and developing relationships with picture publicity teams on all channels, and ensuring they supply us with all relevant and exclusive images to meet our deadlines.
- Willingness to work flexible hours whenever and to cover for the Picture Director in her absence.
- Recognising and acting upon any potential legal issues and acting in accordance with the PCC Code of Conduct.
- Excellent shoot commissioning and directing skills.
- Outstanding contacts, particularly in TV.
- Experience of leading a picture department is preferred.
- Brilliant organisational and planning skills.
- Relevant experience on a magazine or newspaper.
- Knowledge of a wide range of picture agencies for both pap and celebrity studio searches, and a thorough knowledge of the industry including photographer/stylist contacts.
- An expert knowledge of TV shows, celebrities and soap.
- Ability to juggle the pressures of a busy weekly magazine.
- A wide appreciation of current affairs and entertainment through reading various titles as well as utilising other media platforms on a daily basis.
- Boundless energy and enthusiasm, a professional manner inside and outside of the office, the ability to stay calm in a high-pressured environment and time-keeping skills.
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.