Role title: Social strategy co-ordinator - Internship
News UK Function: Technology
Sub-Function or Area: HR
Summary of Function and Sub-Function:
News UK’s Technology team has become central to the News UK business, delivering innovation to how our world class journalists and commentators deliver insight and information to subscribers and readers. Modern media requires technology to be robust, agile and innovative to meet the needs of advertisers and readers. Within the Technology team there are functional teams delivering: Product, Engineering, Delivery, Business Change Enterprise Business Office and Data.
Summary of the role:
As a key member of the News UK Technology team this is a role for a natural communicator with a passion for telling the story of how technology enhances the modern media. The candidate will have an interest in the latest social media and communications technologies as well as experience in writing, proof-reading, editing, image management (static and video) as well as audio media production. As well as producing and distributing material, this a role that requires someone who wants to build communities and engage in conversations in order to share knowledge. Passion and self motivation will be crucial.
Responsibilities and Accountability:
- Plan and set goals for the Social Media delivery within Technology at News UK
- Manage and monitor the social media channels to ensure they are engaging with the right audience and creating a channel for new recruits to discover opportunities
- Be the voice (brand) of the Technology team at News UK
- Monitor and experiment with new social media channels
- Engage with News UK staff and the wider technology community beyond News UK
- Act as the first point of contact within the Tech team at News UK
- Identify potential audiences
- Manage the online reputation with a particular focus on ensuring that any negativity is managed and that it is clear these are social channels for the Technology team - not editorial
- Collate and create the weekly email to all departments that shares achievements and successes of the Technology team
- Ensure that relevant documentation is updated as a result of the information gathering and make sure this is fed into the All Hands Staff Meeting
- Attend weekly People Meeting to provide team with an update/insight and statistics on social strategy
- Support Values proposition and People projects/initiatives as required
- Occasional administrative support to PA team, including pot, greeting guests, meeting room management, event organisation and creative design work
- Share new ideas
Functional and Professional Knowledge:
- Experience at community building and hosting
- Concise writing that engages a community
- Creativity and immersion into social media platforms and provide links to examples
- Understanding of both editorial and content marketing demands in the social age
- Excellent communications skills within the business to ensure you can solicit input to the projects
- Experience of sourcing and managing content
- Encourage collaboration across the team with the social media outputs
- The candidate must be able to move between being creative to analytical to understand how the channels are performing
- Proactively communicate to stakeholders the value of the social media channels
- Displays in-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat etc.) and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios.
- Enjoys a working knowledge of the blogging ecosystem relevant to the company’s field.
- Open to feedback and ideas and respond positively to them
- Displays ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and video format.
- Practices superior time management
- Be a team player that is confident to take the lead and guide other employees when necessary. (ie: content development, creation and editing of content, and online reputation management).
- Makes evident good technical understanding and can pick up new tools quickly.
- Maintains a working knowledge of principles of search engine optimisation (SEO) including keyword research and Google Analytics.
- Demonstrates winning Social Customer Service techniques such as empathy, patience, advocacy and conflict resolution.
- Possesses great ability to identify potential negative or crisis situation and apply conflict resolution principles to mitigate issues.
- Define and effectively report the problems (and solutions) to the relevant stakeholders
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are a company which has journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and associated websites are some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world, reaching 30 million people each week. They are very different products with different values and different strengths, but all are united by a commitment to independent journalism that connects with our customers.
News UK is a company which thrives on pace. Our people stretch themselves on a daily basis, challenging the status quo to produce the best service possible to our readers and customers. We embrace creativity and initiative and we have some of the most talented people in the industry.
If you want to work for one of the world's most exciting, challenging and creative media organisations then News UK is the place to build your career.